• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strange Axle Leak

acme66

Just curious if this was a 923 'thing'. Rear axle seals seem fine, nothing is coming out when driving more than 1000 miles in 2 days but left it parked for 3 weeks and I have gear oil running down and dripping off the drum. Drive it around and again nothing seems to be leaking while moving. It just splattered that initial bit and dries up. Truck was parked level the whole time. Ever seen this happen?

-Ken

sandcobra164

Yes I have seen that happen. A buddy of mine got an RRAD truck straight from rebuild that spent some time sitting in a National Guard unit. Well, long an short, the outer bolts that hold the axle shaft to the hub were finger tight. He tightened them down to 80 foot lbs. and problem solved.

zout

^^ what Joe said to check. Might also want to check for proper level in the housings and make sure the vent is free and clear of any debris that would keep it from ventiing properly. It has to "breathe" and vent - possible overfilled - if the vent is clogged the axle has to breath from some other source then and which ever is the weakest.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well do believe they don't breath they hold pressure. That is the point of that type of vent found on 5 ton's and Deuces. I have never taken one out and tested it to see what the vent pops at but just guessing 4 lb. They hold a little pressure so when going under water the the seals remain a little tighter. Same for the transfer case. In the Trans when the fording kit is installed and the plug placed in bellhousing the pressure will bleed from the vent.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Does the tm show a replacement part number for the vent maybe it can be cross referenced to find the specs there is a lot of different opinions on the axles and chucks and how easily water can get in especially over 3 feet worth

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Acme66 grease dripping from the axle is no good no matter if it is comming from the inside of the drum wich means you grease slinger is pulgged or if it's on the outside of the drum the grease slinger is working to keep it off the drum and shoes but still needs to be delt with.

acme66

Use builds heat so the 1000 miles would have built more heat and/or pressure than sitting parked. Dosen't leak when I drive it around long distances, just leaked the once sitting for three weeks. That doesn't sound vent related to me. I have never seen an axle in anything do that before, everything is clean and oil spray free (after I washed off the little spurt). Just seemed odd.

-Ken

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks