• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strange Start

Jersey4x4

CCATLETT1984 said:
but remember its just activating the 24v solonoid on the starter, not feeding the starter.
That is correct and it somehow also sends power to the glow plug control card to power the glow plugs while cranking.

CCATLETT1984

Jersey4x4 said:
CCATLETT1984 said:
but remember its just activating the 24v solonoid on the starter, not feeding the starter.
That is correct and it somehow also sends power to the glow plug control card to power the glow plugs while cranking.
thats not quite true. the gp card is activated by the ignition swith and is just 12volts. it completes a ground and that trips the Glow plug relay under the hood. The relay then allows electricity to flow through the large resistor on the firewall and to the glow plugs. When cold the resistor takes 24v and drops it to ~18volts as it heats up it drops down to ~12volts. (this allows the plugs to heat up fast and to be jump started by a 24v truck)

res0wc18

so were all agreeing that GM part number 1559178, is the only thing to replace with this type of thing. Im trying to replace pretty much everything on the starter system that i can since i bought a brand new gm starter for it i want it to stay alive. Get what im saying? Is there any other parts i should replace?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks