• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stretching a frame? M818/S250

KsM715

How hard is it to stretch a frame? Ive got an idea for a project Id like to try with my truck. It will have HEMTT wheels and 16's or maybe only 14's.

sorry its a really bad photoshop (actually its done with MS paint) but its all I got and done in like 10 min.

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It must be something in the Kansas water, on the 8+ hours back from the MVPA I was thinking of doing the same thing! I am going to do some measuring tomorrow an see if the 250 could go on sideways.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should be no problem if you're a good welder. I've stretched many frames on civilian trucks. Just cut the frame and add what you need. You need to double frame over the joints to add strength. Other than that all you have to do is lengthen driveshaft, air lines, and wiring.

goldneagle

If you stretch it too long it will be a bitch to make turns with. My M820A2 has a wide turning radius and a PITA to drive in the suburbs. I agree with Gimpy about using the M814 chassis. It would be easer to ad the 5th wheel stuff than stretch the frame.

KsM715

I had thought about using a M814 if I could affoard one. Since I cant and already have the 818 and a friend thats a very good welder (welder for Caterpiller work tools) I'm gonna go this route.

I thought about putting it sideways but I want to be able to connect the cab and box with an opening.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
That should be easy enough, just find one of the accordian pieces of rubber. I have seen big rigs use them as a pass through.

KsM715

Does anyone here have the mounting plate that bolts into the back of a HMMWV that the S250 bolts to? There was a single lot on GL a few weeks back that had two but I missed bidding on it.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
A 280 shelter would be the ultimate "Sleeper" to go behind a tractor.
Using a long bed frame you would have enough room to install the 5th wheel behind it.
The longwheel base make turning harder but it smooths out the ride.

You could remove the door and fit it to the back of the tractor just like the big rigs.

So many ideas....soooooo little money.

m.walker

What you need would be the back half of the frame to a parts tractor so that all you would need to do is add it to your frame . Instead of cutting yours and lengthening it . It would be a real pain to turn though . I had an M55 and an M139 that took a 3 point turn to get in my driveway where the M52 whips right in . Not to mention backing issues when using a short trailer . On the plus side though the above trucks rode much better than my M52 ! I have one of those mounts you're talking about , I got it and an S250 shelter from Ft. Riley a couple of years ago .

KsM715

That should be easy enough, just find one of the accordian pieces of rubber. I have seen big rigs use them as a pass through.
Ive got that covered. My father-in-law is a truck driver and knows where to get that stuff.

A 280 shelter would be the ultimate "Sleeper" to go behind a tractor.
Using a long bed frame you would have enough room to install the 5th wheel behind it.
The longwheel base make turning harder but it smooths out the ride.

You could remove the door and fit it to the back of the tractor just like the big rigs.

So many ideas....soooooo little money.

A 280!! I wanted a big truck but not THAT big :-D

As far as the door, I prefer to keep it on the back end so when I use it for storage I can still access it without having to go thru the cab.

hardtime

It is not as daunting as it may seem. If you have any com. dump truck shops around they do that all time . They can give you a good estimate. poss some advice/materials. Good frame steel is a must. You could do all the prep work, make cuts, prep all joints, fit pieces, and clamp it. research a good mobile welder and he swings through and burns it up. You will want a cross member in there some where. Look at a xl wb truck for a good check. also you will need a bracket and a carrier bearing for your longer shaft. Here are some links , one is a factory ford strech guide for rv's and the other is for a custom jeep project. i was looking for something in com. big trucks but this should give you a solid foundation of what needs to happen, and how. hope it helps.

www.fleet.ford.com
www.aev-conversions.com
www.morryde.com

KsM715

Yeah Im doing the stretched version. I was bored today, laid up with a sinus infection or streph throat, didnt feel like getting outside much today.