• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strong Suggestion for Idled Trucks

m139h2otruck

I have what I think is a good suggestion for trucks that have been idle for an extended period (learned the hard way!).

As we all know, insects and rodents seem to gravitate towards the green iron, and will take up residence within minutes (it appears) of shut down. The new tractor had obviously sat for a period of time (unknown) at the shop of the person I bought it from. It started and ran sort of OK, but didn't have any power and acted like bad fuel/injectors/etc. running around the yard in low range 4th and 5th. Drained the fuel from one tank, changed both filters and still ran funny. Had already looked in the air filter can for visitors, and saw none. Still ran funny. Removed air filter end and element and over one half of the inside of the element was full of hardened mouse nest. No debris in piping to turbo, but still ran funny! Finally, took intake piping apart inside engine compartment, and in the inlet of the turbo stuck to the turbine were two dried up mouse bodies, nearly blocking the air flow and keeping the impeller wedged tight to the housing. No idea how they got in, as all hoses were on and had clamps on them. Its no wonder that the engine acted choked! Bodies of the visitors were very dried out and hard, and had been in there for a while. Now engine acts like it's got 6 cylinders and a good turbo whine like a Mack should have. No harm to anything that I can see or hear.

So, check for visitors if there is any doubt!!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hear that - when I got my -725 I noticed a lot of mouse droppings and mud dauber nests everywhere on the truck. Still removing them from weird places, and hope that when it finally fires up that there aren't any REALLY hidden ones in the cylinders that would screw everything up. Daily or bi-daily use of your MV will prevent this build-up, it seems, as use seems to scare away the critters. Fresh oil and the smell of humans is not very friendly to animals, and once a vehicle is left to sit, the invitation opens up to the critters to come back in.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Dang, I've had my share of mouse nests in parked vehicles, but never dead vermin in the turbo inlet! My neighbor shaved his cat with the fan on his 460 once. Dang thing ran around half naked for a few weeks, but was lucky to be alive. So, cats may keep the mice away, but they also like warm engine blocks :shock:

yorkgulch2

I had problems with mice eating civilian wiring and living under the hood of my m37. A friend told me to try fabric softener sheets and they are working so far (2 years)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I was working the crane for the first time in a week or so and when I moved the boom a couple of small bird eggs fell out.
After I was done, all openings got some duct tape to keep nesting birdies out.

rmgill

Funniest thing I've heard of is an engine that'd sat for a while in a vehicle that would NOT turn over by hand or with the starter. The head was finally pulled in disgust by the new owner who found one of the cylinders was FULL of acorns. The valve was open and some mouse that had gotten through the exhaust manifold had used the cylinder in question as a grain silo. :roll:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a big fat possum sleeping on top of the engine for a while. After rudely awakening it with the startup procedure a few times, it decided to find other day accomodations. Apparently it is fond of the swedish meatballs and other tidbits meant for my porch cats. It's really kind of cute with its beady little eyes. Wonder how many teeth that thing has..

Attachments

ida34

Ivory soap in the cab will work to keep out rodents also. I have Ivory all over the place in my travel trailer and no rodents have infiltrated yet.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reminds me, we have armadillos here as well as opossums. Armadillos are referred to as "Possum in a half shell"

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
last month i had to rob a radiator out of a stored m37 and in the upper water hose .. a dried up rat. about 6 inches long, now how did he get in there. the cap was missing so he must have gotten in from the top.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Strong Suggestion for Idled Trucks

ida34 said:
Ivory soap in the cab will work to keep out rodents also. I have Ivory all over the place in my travel trailer and no rodents have infiltrated yet.
Is that liquid Ivory soap, or just throw a bar in every place you want to prevent mice?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: Strong Suggestion for Idled Trucks

Just caught a squirrel in my tool barn last night it was scurrying up into the rafters. Had them in there several years ago and put metal plates around the soffet so they could not chew into the barn. Guess I have to get the pellet gun out and go hunting for them easier to get them out if they are dead then trying to chase them down with a crowbar. Had a bee make a nest in my fuel line on the M 52 in just a few weeks all kinds of yellow stuff was packed in there with mud at the end of the line. When my dad left for WW II in 1942 he left his car in the barn of our Illinois farm and the mice ate all the appolstery right down to the springs. I keep my dogs outside to keep the vermin out but my wife made me keep them on the side of the house since they tore up the yard and now the squirrles are at it again.

ida34

Re: RE: Strong Suggestion for Idled Trucks

maddawg308 said:
ida34 said:
Is that liquid Ivory soap, or just throw a bar in every place you want to prevent mice?
Soap bars. I have Three total in a 30' travel trailer. I would think one under the hood on the air cleaner, one in the glove compatment, and one in the rear of the bed should cover the whole truck. Works great in my trailer. I wish it would work for wasps also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks