• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stuck glow plug

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a picture of the other kind. Both are on ebay, or do a google search. try searching for 6.2 glow plug tool.

Attachments

JDToumanian

I don't understand how either of those tools work, or why they would be needed... Did the hex on the glow plug body get rounded off or sheared off altogether? I have two Fords with the old 6.9 diesel, my glow plug tool has always been a 10mm deep socket, and the plugs have always cracked loose and spun out by hand...

Jon

ragedracer

As I understand it, its for removing plugs with swollen tips. You can't really get a good grip on them to pull them out, without breaking the tip off. The tool above works to pull the plug out, without breaking the tip off.

Of course, you could always just loosen it, then crank the motor over. Often times, the compression will blow the plug out for you.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Either of the above tools is meant to be used to force out, swollen tipped glow plugs. The tips will swell from overheating and then they won't come out of the hole. Worst case, the tip breaks off inside the chamber, then you need to pull the fuel line an injector, to remove the broken tip.

Kip, simply clamping ViseGrips onto a swollen plug, and pulling and twisting can work, also. After buying the OTC tool, and trying to use it, my friend got frustrated and forced them out like that, instead. He is in Germany now, or I would borrow his tool and send it to you.

Last edited:

allrevup

I use the Vise-grip method (clamp at 90*, tap on vise with rubber malet and vacum and cranked engine after IP wire disconect) to remove 2 Weelman .070's ( cyl's. #7 & #8) worked relativelly easy but not shure that I will be that lucky again. I would like to know how this 2 GP removal tools work??

m38inmaine

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The inner body is machined leaving a small ridge that fits between the threads and hex on the plug. You unscrew the plug so the threads are exposed, back off the outer sleeve on the tool and insert the tool over the plug, then screw the outer sleeve over the plug and against the cylinder head, hold the inner sleeve with a wrench while turning the outer sleeve with another wrench, it "pulls" the plug out of the hole, hopefully. I have the tool pictured but have yet to try it, others here have used it with great success.

JDToumanian

Thanks for the explanations... It was hard to picture using a tool to fix a problem I've never had...

Do glow plugs sometimes swell and get stuck even when using a factory timer/controller? I've put hundreds of thousands of miles on my Fords (same glow plugs as the 6.2/6.5) and been through many sets of plugs and never had a problem. Are you guys bypassing the controllers and using a toggle switch or something?

Jon

allrevup

If everything is up to specs the CUCV hybrid 12/24 volts system is as good system. But with the military nessesitated 24v. when something does go wrong and out of specs. You have pottential for problems, specially if the diagnose and repairs are by people unfamiliar with it. (Having said that, I wish it had beign a true 24v. system) as I hate metric and standard fasteners in the same vehicle.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks