• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Substandard quality parts

Z71

In more than 10 years of owning my M109 I came across several very low quality parts which I bought from surplus dealers and which had the appearance of being genuine military contract items. They came in sealed packages bearing the part National Stock Number, contract number, etc. I almost lost my multifuel engine due to a defective oil pressure sending unit. It was brand new, in a sealed package with usual markings. Just after installing it, I started up the engine and it was a good thing that I left the hood open. In about 10 seconds after starting the engine, the entire top of the oil sending unit blew off, spewing about 2 gallons of oil all over the engine. When I saw this happen, I immediately shut off the engine, so no harm was done. I got another oil pressure sending unit from the CMS company in Augusta, GA (now out of business), and never had a problem with that unit.

Another example was the red button starter switch. I bought several of these brand new in sealed packages. They were absolute junk. I tried all of them and they each lasted about a week. Then they simply would not start the truck. I ended up buying and installing a used starter switch and it has been working properly for years now. There was nothing else wrong, the starter was fine, and so was the starter relay.

The lesson learned here is that there are bad quality critical parts out there that can cause a lot of grief to the user. Be careful what you buy and install on your truck. Whereas failure of some parts like low quality split front knuckles boots, is not that big of a deal, a failed oil pressure sender can cost you an engine. I am not blaming the surplus dealers for selling this stuff, as they probably bought it at government auctions thinking that it is a genuine military contract item. And perhaps it was, but very poorly built.

I just thought I share this experience before something like this happens to someone else.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The majority of the genuine US parts have been used up long ago. Now we are seeing poor quality imports. The military jeep crowd has been dealing with this for years.

KsM715

vtdeucedriver beat me to it. As I was reading the OP's post I was thinking in the back of my mind. "those parts were built by the lowest bidder"

Stossel just had a report on counterfeit goods. One segment talked about the military ending up with this crap, some of the parts were critical aircraft components. So I would not be surprised if the parts, 2nd or 3rd hand, see there way to our hands.

Chief_919

There are several reason for this.

One is that the parts sold surplus are often old. The military will spec a shelf life, and when it exceeds that the part gets sold. Then it can sit on a dealers shelf another 10 years because he purchased 800 of them at once and they sell slow.

Another is that when a batch of parts if found to be defective, they can get sold. There will be no notice when they are being sold that they are defective, so when the dealer buys them he assumes they are good.

steelandcanvas

The OP suggests being cautious, which I am in total agreement with. However, as with anything you purchase, it's a roll of the dice. Even though Uncle Sugar buys from the lowest bidder, the parts are still manufactured to his specs.