• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Successful M37 Recovery

MDSA

Will it still be pink for Georgia??

I was looking for a Jeep, maybe a M38A1, to use on trails with my sons, but found this M37-B1 instead. I love my Deuce but it simply does not fit on the trails around here. I spent more than I had planned on the M37, but I think I got a good MV. It was used regularly on the previous owner's 24 acres of mountainous property for hauling firewood. Fires right up and 90% of the body is in great shape.

It came with a M101 in 2 pieces, 2 spares, winch parts (seems to be complete), 3 manuals for the M37, a photocopy of a 1943 manual for Dodge 3/4 ton trucks, about 30 copies of Military Vehicles magazine, and a manual for 5 ton trucks which disappeared on the way home. Actually the manual was Brandon's pay other than breakfast.

Had beautiful mountain weather for the recovery Saturday. Brandon pulled a trailer for the M37 and my son Stephen followed with a trailer for the M101 pieces. Loaded the trailer pieces first. Took a little grunting but with 4 men there were no real problems.

I now have 3 M101's, but this yellow, two-piece trailer has the 5 lug hubs that match the M37. My other 2 M101's are A2's. However, this "new" trailer also has a rusted up spindle. Apparently the previous owner bought it with the bad spindle and never got around to making repairs.

Then we loaded the M37. It started right up and drove onto Brandon's trailer no problem after a bit of maneuvering to get the M37 between the trailer wheel wells. Chained and strapped everything down, and off we went. Took less than an hour.

My youngest son and I drove it around the neighborhood this afternoon. Runs great. Have a bit of routine maintenance to do, then a lot of little repairs on the body and electrical. It's still 24 volt but the light switches and wiring are a mess. Passenger door glass is cracked.

Needs a new soft top and seat covers, but new canvas costs too much so not sure what I am going to for the top. Might go with a hard top. Might use my Deuce cab cover for the M37. Someone else said that's what they did. I just bought a new vinyl camo cover for the Deuce so the old canvas may already have a home. The seats will work for now; think I'll add a boat cushion to the driver seat back to protect this old back of mine.

Maybe I should leave it pink so I can find it in the dark?!

Attachments

Mike_L

Congratulations on the find. Looks like it is in good shape.

If you haven't already, drop over to the G741.org site and post a hello there. Great bank of M37 experts.

That 101 trailer looks like one we had in Iraq. Going down the highway, the bolts let loose (overloaded probably) and the bed came off the frame. What a mess. We had to cross load everything from the bed and leave it. We towed the frame to Baghdad were we scrounged a damaged trailer for the bed.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you don't know it already, you have a hard to find USMC M37, see the lifting brackets near the rear bumperettes and the "paper clip" lifting loops welded to the front bumper halves. See if the "responsible agency" data plate says "Marine Corps". Your truck was painted 34052 lusterless forest green originally. If you can, gently sand the bumpers and middle of the doors to get the original unit markings.

AMGeneral

I definetly made sure I mentioned that NDT[thumbzup],it REALLY looks better in person than it does in the pictures.BTW that isn't a repro tailgate,it's an original no rust or dents/warping,that's unbelieveable in itself!!!

Brian really did get a NICE B1,both running and looking.

PS,Dodges are always happy to be recovered by Dodges:mrgreen::driver:

Last edited:

CGarbee

I guess that I will have to excuse you both from comming up to VA if you were out picking up a great looking M37...:)

Don't forget that I've got a few parts (seats, seat covers, wiring harnesses, etc) for these... I also have a little bit of info on my website...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks