• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

suitable battery replacement for M1088

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
unfortunately Optimas quality has begun to languish over the past few years when JCI purchased the company from the Swedes..it's own owned by Clarios (Chinese)
Sorry, why do you think Clarios is Chinese? Here is their leadership team:

I do follow the companies that pose as American or being from other western or more "trusted" countries than China, when in fact are Chinese who are extremely good at deceiving.

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, why do you think Clarios is Chinese? Here is their leadership team:

I do follow the companies that pose as American or being from other western or more "trusted" countries than China, when in fact are Chinese who are extremely good at deceiving.

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Ronmar

I use Red Tops, Yellow Tops, and Blue Tops in everything and never have issues and most of them make 6+yrs.
34 Series
A previous employer of mine used blue tops in it’s “fleet” and I was not impressed. We were always having issues with them. Part of that was the way they were wired/installed but not all of it. They went thru a lot of batteries…

AGM’s are cool and all, they are more resistant to shock and vibration, and you can get a comparable crank amps spec with a smaller and lighter battery. So in an airplane, boat or sand rail where these other benefits might be an advantage, they might be a good fit. I don’t think they are of any added benefit or worth the added cost in an LMTV/MTV, As I mentioned earlier they can actually be a detriment to the 100A alt systems…

I think the introduction of the AGM batteries to the LMTV was probably the main reason for the switch to the 260A alt on the A1R…

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like a coincidence of names, possibly picked on purpose by the Chinese company, but they only have 300 employees vs over 16,000 in the US Clarios.
However, the US Clarios has operations in China, started when they were JCI.
Thanks for the info.
..in my hands on experience with Optima Batteries, I can guarantee that the “current” are not the same quality/longevity they were @ 15 years ago…when they had “lifetime” warranties….

Last edited:

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
..in my hands on experience with Optima Batteries, I can guarantee that the “current” are not the same quality/longevity they were @ 15 years ago…when they had “lifetime” warranties….
I would not dispute that as I don't have any direct experience with those batteries. Usually I try to quantify the situation by testing it, in the case of batteries, I would run some charge/ discharge cycles and see how well they perform. I just got a HMMWV and I can tell that the charging voltage is meant for flooded lead acid. AGMs require slightly higher charging voltage and if they are constantly undercharged it could lead to sulfation, which will reduce the battery capacity over time.
I am not sure about your setup but in my HMMWV there are two batteries in series and I didn't see any balancing circuit (I barely started looking at the truck, so there is a lot to learn) and no two batteries are alike, therefore over time if they are left alone, one will supply more and more current than the other which eventually will lead to capacity loss.
If I get around to it, I will come up with a simple battery balancer that anyone could build.
Just my 2cents :)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks