• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sun Roof, Moon Roof, Leaky Problem will be Solved Soon

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So, over the past few days the bolts holding the plate on top of the cab have been removed. Most of them were a dream to buzz out. Three were rusted all to h%&!. Drill, grind, drill some more and finally the plate is down on the ground to be wire brushed...

I don't know how many YEARS it had been leaking before it came to my place, but it wasn't a small leak. I guess the reason nobody fixed it sooner was because the drivers seat stayed dry. The person behind the wheel was dry, so "it was all good". Have to chuckle. I guess the helper wouldn't necessarily know about the leak until the wet passenger seat soaked through the BDUs. And if the driver was quick enough, a hard right turn would dump about a quart of water on the co-pilot's head if it was raining.

Lots of wire brush time. Cleaned the mating surfaces. Applied some sealer and called it good. Now I need to let that dry and rain test it later this week. It would have been nice to have replaced that round plate because there was a few "rust through" spots around the bolts. Guess that can be worked on another day...

Leaky Sun Roof Removed 01.jpgLeaky Sun Roof Removed 02.jpgLeaky Sun Roof Removed 03.jpg

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the update. It sounds like you are doing a nice job of taking care of a common problem. One of my trucks has a slight drip during a heavy rain. It has not gotten to the point where I want to tackle the job.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the update. It sounds like you are doing a nice job of taking care of a common problem. One of my trucks has a slight drip during a heavy rain. It has not gotten to the point where I want to tackle the job.
It wasn't a lot of fun, but it definitely needed to happen.
Sad that it is a common problem.

Wonder if you fixed it sooner rather than later - maybe the rust wouldn't be as bad as mine became?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It wasn't a lot of fun, but it definitely needed to happen.
Sad that it is a common problem.

Wonder if you fixed it sooner rather than later - maybe the rust wouldn't be as bad as mine became?
You are making a valid point about the rust. The water weeps through during a heavy rain, but I recognize that it has to eat away at the metal over time. I should probably address it.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You are making a valid point about the rust. The water weeps through during a heavy rain, but I recognize that it has to eat away at the metal over time. I should probably address it.
If there aren't any bolts that are seized, the repair might be really easy.

An allen wrench 5/16" hopefully as a socket and 10 bolts if I remember correctly.
I call them socket headed cap screws. Not sure what the official name is...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Why not go ahead and weld up the rusted through spots while you have it off?
Mostly because I am willing to admit that sheet metal, a welder and me are not all on the same team glcaines
I wish it was another way. I painted it with Glidden's rust killer. them sealed up.
Not to factory specs, but until I find a new "moon roof" there won't be any more water inside the truck.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go to your local automotive paint store and pick up a couple of tubes of windshield eurathane if your not planing on takeing it off again its the toughest stuff ive ever seen and its never gona leak its what they rub on baby duck butts to keep em from takeing on water and drowning but its like 12 bucks a tube and use the whole tube once its open

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mostly because I am willing to admit that sheet metal, a welder and me are not all on the same team glcaines
I wish it was another way. I painted it with Glidden's rust killer. them sealed up.
Not to factory specs, but until I find a new "moon roof" there won't be any more water inside the truck.

Whats that roof in the background on the truck beside yours with the vent in it ?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Whats that roof in the background on the truck beside yours with the vent in it ?
Sunday afternoon rains have proven the truck to be dry inside!
THAT is a big plus to having sealed it up for sure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks