• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Super Singles on front only

Construction

I have been told over and over that you have to convert the whole truck to super singles, but the other day I saw a 5 ton with 385/65R22.5's on the front with the stock duals on the back.

Not sure where to find those rims for the front, but that looked to be the best setup.

Alredneck

Banned
For the 5ton, its just a standard 10hole budds rim. I have the same tires singled out on one of my M54s They are wider than the 11s but same overall height. You could easily put super singles in the front and keep the 11.00s in the rear dualed. Another option would be to put 14.5r20s up front and keep the 11s dualed in the rear. If you dont mind steel, then you can pick-up used steel budds wheels for $15-35ea depending on where you get them from, there are plenty out there. If you want pricey and shinny then a set of alcoas would work as well, being aluminnum they would be lighter. The OTR tires last way longer than the bias, and a good bit longer than .mil radials!

jimmcld

It wouldn't matter that much on the deuce baecause the only time you use 6 wheel drive is when your in slippery conditions. However, my understanding of the sprage is that it is engaged every time you shift into first geer.

Reactions: emr

Construction

In the 5 Ton, the front axle is a "locker" style, it requires a good driver and must slip to engage. Slow and steady like the turtle. The deuce is totally different, it is like a 4 wheeler with the air locker - but, cannot haul near the weight of the 5 ton.

cundupa

I would like to find 22.5 X 12.25 rims for $20, that is what you need for 385 X 22.5 tires. Just singled out my M817 today with 18X22.5 super single tires. I'll post some pics. BTW, you need the bud stud piloted rims, not the newer hub piloted, I just bought 2 used ones yesterday for $150 each.

Last edited:

Alredneck

Banned
Im not sure how wide my rims are they look like just standard steel budds wheels. The 385s are same height as 11s ( or danm near it a tenth in dont matter cause no two tires are equal height ) I bought mine when I was by the rubber so maybe he gave me a discount. The tires are actually retreads on the rear but are used for dump trucks and garbage trucks, the place I got them from in GA refit them for some contract. They run good, Have about 4000 miles and still look the same. I believe it might be possible to dual these in the rear would have to take the time and do some meausring and would wonder if it would be over width when done. But for on the road great tires! I did a write up on here about them somewhere!

dmetalmiki

1200s on the M45

well heres our 1200x20s on the fire truck twins rear:: Fronts wide stance (rims de-riveted and repositioned/welded. looks great handles ok. I dont how in heck they getting 1400?? radials on a deuce tho..as we had to fit the 818 pole truck spacers on (modified) to prevent the tyres (1200s) rubbing the chassis!?..as the rear bogies do flex on tight turning. and also the 1400s I have are way way higher then any 1200s. 1400s ndcs are just too wide to go on a deuce both in tread width and diameter. have posted pics of the m45 in forums so heres a pic of the rims modified on my 5ton. 1400s. wide stance.

Attachments

Last edited: