• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Supposed Navy Clark Clarktor-6 Tug/Tractor

chapmajs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few years ago I bought a Clark "Clarktor-6" industrial tractor (pictures attached). The guy I bought it from got it surplussed from one of the local VA (Veteran's Association, but also in Virginia) facilities, where it was used as part of the grounds maintenance equipment. He'd said, but I have not confirmed, that it was used on an aircraft carrier during WW2. It's one of the "lighter" setups, with single rear wheels, so I guess that'd make it a MILL-30. Engine is a flathead Chrysler, originally it'd have been the industrial six, but it's been swapped with one out of a 1956 Plymouth, so that's not a lot of help in figuring out its history!

Attachments

chapmajs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the engine to fire off earlier this year, previous owner said he hadn't run it in at least 10 years. Needed the usual points cleanup, the starter solenoid was stuck and wouldn't contact (and then stuck in contact!), Bendix gear needed oil as it wouldn't pop out, etc. Here's a short video of it running on saw gas squirted down the carb:

The carb was of course totally crudded up. Ordered a complete rebuild kit from Mike's, still need to boil it out and rebuild.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
There’s a really great group on these tugs on Facebook. The admin has most of the original build cards for clarktors. If you’re able to read the serial number on the dash plate above the gauges, it’s pretty likely he can show you the build card and where it was originally shipped to from the factory.

chapmajs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have heard that everyone moved to Facebook from the old Yahoo Groups page. I'm not on Facebook though. Might see if my wife minds me using her account.

chapmajs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turns out my facebook login from college still works! I'm on the Clarktor group now and have posted my data plates, as they are. Figured I'd post them here too:

IMG_0235.jpegIMG_0234.jpegIMG_0233.jpeg

Number on the left is 84629 with a triangular symbol after it. On the right appears to be T-925.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you’ve found the machine serial number contact your local Clark parts dealer, they maybe able to get you the original build sheet and parts manualIMG_5980.jpg
They made me this one for free about 20 years ago, after I stopped in for some simple parts.IMG_5981.jpg
Parts where very reasonable as well.IMG_5982.jpg
Not as old as your machine, but still old enough to prove they started a very good library at some point.IMG_5983.jpg

chapmajs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a guy on the Facebook group who works/worked for Clark and has access to all of the original build sheets, engineering drawings, etc. He used to be on the Yahoo group, before Yahoo shut all of that down.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks