• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Suspension replacement or upgrade

npears

I need to at least replace the existing springs and shocks on my m1009.

Does the m1009 have the same components as a 1/2 ton k5 or will I need 3/4 ton parts?

Thanks for the advice,

NP (the new guy)

CCATLETT1984

if you do any towing getting the 3/4ton rear springs will help with the butt sag. are you looking at lift springs or just stock height ones again?
If you want a little bit of lift, the rough country 2" springs would allow you a little more fender clearance and still give a great ride.

AJMBLAZER

AVOID ROUGH COUNTRY.

They live up to the Rough in their name. For the same price you can have much higher quality Tough Country or BDS springs. Ride better, flex better, hold up longer, etc.

CCATLETT1984

if you want a stiff spring, then get superlifts, the rough country springs have a good ride. others do flex better, but the trade offs are more sag when towing or driving loaded. It all depends on the type of driving that is done with the vehicle.

AJMBLAZER

Actually it's the other way around.

Rough Countrys are the cheap spring now. Their quality, like Rancho's, has gone down a lot in the last decade or so.

For the same money you can get a better BDS or Tough Country spring that will ride better, flex better, and last longer.

Go talk to the guys over on www.ColoradoK5.com about this stuff. You won't get many recommendations for Rough Country stuff.

84cucv1ton

i got a bit i can add to this now. was in the woods messing around with a few friends. all lifted chevys. all kinds of lifts too. so here it is.... we took a tape to it but i cnat find the #s now. we found a desent size wash out. flex out all the turcks. the tuff country and some spring thats start with a a. not sure on name. he said they were likr 500 just for front springs. good ride and really flexy. anyway, the tc and the ones i just talked about were the olny ones to keep all 4 wheels on the ground. other kits were, superlift,skyjacker and 2 procomp. all had a wheel off the gorund. didnt ride to well either. all the kits have some time on they to if that matters. some wheeling trips too. all were 4" or 6" kits. the guy with the superlift said they are stiff as hell too. everyone there said Rough Countrys kits are crap and dont flex well. i guess if your in mud you dont need flex to much. well, ihope that helps you make up your mind

AJMBLAZER

Bilsteins, and other monotube nitrogen charged shocks, are pretty much self adjusting. That's why they aren't "10 stage" or "9 settings" etc. They self adjust and react to the amount of force they get with the correct amount of dampening. Hence all the fancy valves and seals and such inside of them. There's a reason a Bilstein HD costs $60 and the Monroe, Gabriel, etc shocks cost $29.99 or whatever else they charge for them.

Run Bilsteins or any of the other big name shocks and you'll never bother with adjustable shocks.
Note that none of the rock racing, rock crawling, desert racing, mud racing, etc champion class vehicles run Rancho, ProComp, etc adjustable shocks...other than the teams that are sponsored by those companies.

That said...if you're on a budget like most of us...Rough Country does have some good shocks. Check into their Nitro 9000's. Nitrogen charged MONOTUBES going for about $34 from JCWhitney and available for a multitude of applications. Think of them as the poorman's Bilstein. I've run them and had good luck with them. Won't last as long and aren't quite as finely tuned as Bilsteins but won't set you back what a Bilstein 5100 or 5150 will.

CCATLETT1984

rough country shocks are rebranded rancho's, they ride for @#$@$#, thats what came with the lift kit for my truck. i dumped them for bilsteins and couldnt be happier. ranchos are the new "el cheapo" aftermarket shock. unless you spend the money for the higher end models.

AJMBLAZER

Eh, you might check your facts on that one.

Rough Country's shocks are some of the few "big name suspension maker" shocks that aren't actually made by Tenneco/Monroe/Rancho. They're actually hold overs from when Rough Country was sold as Heckethorn 15 or so years ago. That was also about when Rough Country's suspension was also still good.
Rancho doesn't make a nitrogen charged MONOTUBE.
Everyone that does sell nitro shocks either has their cheap twin tube shock or sells rebadged Bilsteins.
Rough Country's hydraulic shock is a typical hydraulic twin tube though.

Ranchos aren't el cheapos...at the $45 they go for you can get the exact same shock with a Monroe paint job for $25 or so at your local parts store.