• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swapping Axles 116 to 101

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a M101 and a M116A1 gen set trailer. I'm thinking about swapping the axles so I can have surge brakes and GM bolt pattern wheels. I don't forsee needing to tow the genset any where but I'm thinking of taking the 101 on the MVPA ALCAN Convoy next year. If I'm pulling it behind my M1010 then all the wheels would match and no need for different spares.

Pros/Cons?

Nonotagain

I have a M101 and a M116A1 gen set trailer. I'm thinking about swapping the axles so I can have surge brakes and GM bolt pattern wheels. I don't forsee needing to tow the genset any where but I'm thinking of taking the 101 on the MVPA ALCAN Convoy next year. If I'm pulling it behind my M1010 then all the wheels would match and no need for different spares.

Pros/Cons?
Why don't you just swap the bodies? There are around 12 studs on the frame that attach to the bed. Easier as far as I'm concerned than breaking the u-bolts loose and still having to swap the lunette over plus the brake tubing.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes a bed swap is the way to go.. ill be doing a similar thing in a couple weeks. fresh rebuilt 101a1 with fiberglass rails swaping out with a A2 that is tan.. ill paint the frame on the a2 green and then ill have a super new A2. then put back the A1 paint it vietnam green. been looking for a camo A2 to long .. i have given up so ill build my own..

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Problem with swapping beds is having to pull the 10kw off the 116 and then swap the beds. Seemed like jacking them up and rolling the axles out would easier.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anybody the the neighborhood with a wrecker? Makes short order of swapping beds, empty or loaded!

Nonotagain

Problem with swapping beds is having to pull the 10kw off the 116 and then swap the beds. Seemed like jacking them up and rolling the axles out would easier.
If you are concerned about having all the same wheels on both tow vehicle and trailer (which I agree with) why don't you purchase a commercial axle with electric brakes? You gain service brakes but give up the parking brake.

I'm not sure if you can just unbolt the front half of the A1 trailer and mix and match between an A1 and A A2. You're going to need the lunette/master cylinder as well as brake lines to make the brakes functional.

Jacking up the bed and spanning the width with 2X6" lumber sat on saw horses appears easier to me than attempting to get 20-30 year old U-bolts broke loose.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think by the time I bought a commercial axle and did all the work I could afford to just buy a M101A2 (which I might just do). I have a spare master cylinder lunette already so the brake lines and axle were the main concerns and I can bend and flare my own lines. The aggravation of doing either swap almost seems to make purchasing a different trailer the best way to go. My 101 was just overhauled with new paint and fiberglass racks before it was turned in so I'm sure I can sell it for enough to cover a different trailer.

hjoed

Adding surge brakes to m101

I think by the time I bought a commercial axle and did all the work I could afford to just buy a M101A2 (which I might just do). I have a spare master cylinder lunette already so the brake lines and axle were the main concerns and I can bend and flare my own lines. The aggravation of doing either swap almost seems to make purchasing a different trailer the best way to go. My 101 was just overhauled with new paint and fiberglass racks before it was turned in so I'm sure I can sell it for enough to cover a different trailer.
I'm dealing with the same dillema. Bought a great looking M101a1, but hate to burn my brakes on trips. I wan to do surge brakes and want to swap out the M116 frame completely. According to TManual, it is a few bolts. Lifting the Gens sounds like a huge effort though. Why not just cut the bolts off and put in new ones when reassembling?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got 4 trailers in the driveway now (101, 116, 105A3, MKT). The "Mrs" would be happier if we had fewer. She would be even happier if her truck would simply be ready to go. One of these days I'll figure out that making her happy makes everyone happy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks