• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swapping motors

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I am getting ready to take out a motor with a spun brearing and put in a tested motor. Aside from removing the hood and fenders, what tips do you all have for a smooth swap?

Barrman

Do the entire radiator/engine/transmission pull like the -20 shows. Less stuff to unbolt and you won't even spill any fluids.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Re: RE: Swapping motors

Barrman said:
Do the entire radiator/engine/transmission pull like the -20 shows. Less stuff to unbolt and you won't even spill any fluids.
Well, I'll do that taking the original out, but the one going in has no radiator or trans on it yet. Guess I'll have to bolt that up prior.

Barrman

RE: Re: RE: Swapping motors

The new truck going to have a winch? Put the winch on along with the pto shaft before you do the radiator. Less chance of screwing up the radiator and more room to work was what I found.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done it and it's not very bad at all. I belive it's easier to pull the engine and trans together and swaping the trans to the new engine before you put it back in. If you've got to remove the radiator anyway I'd take it off before I removed the engine.

I use a forklift with a boom and hook it in two places with a come-a-long on one of them. That way you can tilt the engine as need be. The tight spots are between the IP and the steering gear and the primary filter and the pan. You can have one out and back in in a half of a day if you have some help.

One more thing, Some people say remove the fenders but I never have on the three I've done. You don't gain that much and you can have the engine sitting in the floor by the time you can get all the rusted fender bolts out.

I've never removed the hood either. All the way open it's out of the way.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
A forklift makes it so much easier. The come along on one end is good advice for tilting the motor and trans as one unit. Only problem we had with the forklift below was its tires are made for nice smooth flat concrete surfaces and it kept getting stuck. We had to make a plywood path for it everywhere we drove. I would'nt bother with removing the fenders.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Djfreema said:
A forklift makes it so much easier. The come along on one end is good advice for tilting the motor and trans as one unit. Only problem we had with the forklift below was its tires are made for nice smooth flat concrete surfaces and it kept getting stuck. We had to make a plywood path for it everywhere we drove. I would'nt bother with removing the fenders.
That looks about like a 3,000# forklift. I'd say you had her at her max with the engine and trans that far out on the forks. I've used a 6,000# lift the times I've pulled one and it knew it had ahold of something.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
gimpyrobb said:
Wonder if I'll notice it on the hook of my wrecker. BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA
I doubt it.

If it gets real bad I do have this at my disposal---but your going to need alot more plywood than Djfreema had :lol: .

Attachments

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I dont know what the rating of the forklift was but it did'nt have any problems with the back tires wanting to lift up. I borrowed it from a friend to help my other friend change his motor, a wrecker would have been real nice to have. Ty, what piece of machinery is that in the pic?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's called a 50 ton tri-lifter made by Riggers Manufacturing. In the pic we are lifting one end of a 100,000# stamping press at a factory that made Muray lawnmowers in Larenceburg,TN. We were getting ready to load it on a truck.

No gimpy, It's not scrap. Even after I lifted it :D . I'd like to have the money it would bring in scrap though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks