• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Switch to manual glow plug control now!

reb87

My 1009 glow plugs failed last winter so I have been starting with starting fluid for several months. I started changing the plugs and broke the first one off, I had to pull the injector and fish the broken piece out. So I waited a couple more months and finally had time to put the new ones in. I was able to get them all out using a vicegrip on the plug and prying between the vicegrip and head with a screwdriver. I put the new ones in (Wellman) and was enjoying the easy cold start but failed to notice the relay wasnt tripping off. After the glow plugs being on for about 3 miles they were burned out. I then went to napa and got ac60g plugs and a momentary switch. I cut the blue wire and hooked up the momentary switch. Then I started doing what I thought would be an easy job of pulling the plugs out. I had just put them in a couple of days before but had tough time getting them out. I ended up breaking three off and had to pull the injector and fish them out, my 20 minute job ended up taking several hours:evil:. The three that broke off were badly swelled and there was no way they were going to be pulled. :-x:-x:-x:evil::evil::evil::-(:-(:-(

You guys who left the controller hooked up may be in for the same problem if youre not paying attention. I didnt hear the soleniod energize when I turned the key on and it didnt turn off.

CUCV85

open solenoid (GPR)

My 1009 glow plugs failed last winter so I have been starting with starting fluid for several months. I started changing the plugs and broke the first one off, I had to pull the injector and fish the broken piece out. So I waited a couple more months and finally had time to put the new ones in. I was able to get them all out using a vicegrip on the plug and prying between the vicegrip and head with a screwdriver. I put the new ones in (Wellman) and was enjoying the easy cold start but failed to notice the relay wasnt tripping off. After the glow plugs being on for about 3 miles they were burned out. I then went to napa and got ac60g plugs and a momentary switch. I cut the blue wire and hooked up the momentary switch. Then I started doing what I thought would be an easy job of pulling the plugs out. I had just put them in a couple of days before but had tough time getting them out. I ended up breaking three off and had to pull the injector and fish them out, my 20 minute job ended up taking several hours:evil:. The three that broke off were badly swelled and there was no way they were going to be pulled. :-x:-x:-x:evil::evil::evil::-(:-(:-(

You guys who left the controller hooked up may be in for the same problem if youre not paying attention. I didnt hear the soleniod energize when I turned the key on and it didnt turn off.
Sounds like the GPR stuck open,
"You might want to change it out even though your using a momentary switch to ground and activate?"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks