• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Switching to synthetic

RuzzP

Hey guys, im in Canada and its cold...-30C cold (-45 with windchill). Im currently running rotella 15w40 in the engine. Its due for an oil change and i know 0w40 rotella synthetic can make a big difference as far as engine wear goes. My worries are my existing oil leaks will only get worse (oil pan and rear seal). I dont have any starting issues, id just like to make cold starting a little easier on the engine. I run a 1000w circulating coolant heater, maybe i should just slap a stick on oil pan heater on it too and keep the 15w40 in it year round? How well do block heaters work for keeping your oil temps up?

Thoughts?

On a side note - wheres the best(cheapest) place to find weatherstripping for the m1009s? LMC's prices kinda scared me away...

Last edited:

Scarecrow1

With those temps I would ask your local Guard unit or someone in the military what they use in theirs. I know block and oil pan heaters help but in those temps once you unplug you had better not shut down until your back home. I know in colder temps 5-w products or recommended for cars and truck . My civy blazer runs a 5w30 and as you can see I am in S.C.. Just do some research from your local PD or FD to see what they recommend is another option ........

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks