• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Synthetic oil in 6cta8.3

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Has anyone switched to synthetic motor oil in their 8.3 and ran it for some time? Did it work out well? Do you have to use special synthetic oil for a Diesel engine? Can anyone think of any reasons not to switch?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I use shell rotella synthetic in my wife's Jeep CRD. Also use it in my motorcycles. It just needs to be CI rated. Cost is the only reason. The ROI probably doesn't work out on these trucks.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I am turning the fuel and governor up a little and I think it will be better to run synthetic I'm not too worried about cost I would probably change the oil every 5k or so.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would ask the engine manufacturer.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
"If it helps you sleep at night" would be my answer to that. (I don't mean it disrespectfully)

5K syn drain intervals are a little high IMO. The wife's Libby gets 10K. So long as the oil system is operating correctly, there's not going to be a noticeable difference in swapping. You *might* see increased oil leaking though.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am running Kendall liquid titanium 15w40 synthetic blend in a nhc 250. I also converted to a spin on. My oil pressure is definitely up and quicker to build and I "believe" mileage is up so slightly. I have been very pleased with the combination so far with 150 miles mostly Interstate at 60mph.

trooper632

I run Amsoil in every civilian vehicle we have, we have put well over 500,000 miles on our diesel trucks had Ford,Chevy and Dodge. We run 10,000 miles then do a filter change top off the oil usually a quart and run another 10,000 before a total oil and filter change. Never had any engine issues. With that said I have never run Amsoil in a duece or 5 ton, just the CUCV. Would get pricey running it in a 5 ton.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I believe the tm says 3000 mile oil change intervals. If I can go 10k with synthetic just topping off it would easily pay for itself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks