• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tachograph better than speedo and tach?

tachograph better than speedo and tach?

• tachograph

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • speedo and tach

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters

tm america

hmm i dont know about better only one place to look to see what you need.but two things to go wrong in one uniti think its more of personal pref.i just think they are cool i use to like the tic-toc tachs they had in the old mopars but they almost never worked right oh well neat anyway:roll:

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tachograph has an hour meter, you have to open the face to see it. So I guess you need the key. I believe you can get the key from the manufacturer.

I have one in my M52A2 and a spare, I think they're cool too. Like the clock.

Jones

I prefer the tachygraph; mine has speedo, tach and clock all in the same face-- no hunting around the dash for information.
Keys are available from any speedometer shop or the mfr. They're universal, same key fits all of that brand. Sangamo or ARGO are the most common and easiest to get serviced or find parts for.
You can get recording disks (great for trip monitoring) or a plastic disk that protects the stylus.

Both the tachograhs we have had in 5 tons seem to have delayed tach response for the needle so I wasn't overly impressed with them. They do look neat though.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I prefer the separate tach and speedo. Otherwise, I feel like I am spending too much time looking down while trying to monitor two different things on the same gauge. There is a lot going on there and it is not easy to quickly glance down to check your speed or RPM. It is much easier (and safer in my opinion) to be able to glance down quickly at the two gauges. I also don't like the fact that you lose the hour meter as others have stated. I have only had one truck with the tachograph (M917). With all this said, it is unique to me since it is the first truck that I have had with one. I do like the clock! While I prefer one over the other, personally, I would never think to replace the tachograph. If it was in a truck that I owned, I would leave it.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't like the Tachograph for the same reasons Bruce stated. Too much going on in one small area.

Another thing I like to do is to standardize my trucks, what I mean is, I swapped the oil, air, etc gauges around in the deuces I used to have so they were all in the same place. I panicked one time, I thought the oil pressure had dropped to nothing but the fuel was low. After that, I made them all the same. I don't like the tachograph in the 818 for that reason, until I get used to it, I have to hunt through all the gauges and look at the tachograph longer to get my information.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Tom, I am fairly new to the tachograph, but I don't believe I have seen an hour meter on mine. How do I access it or where can I locate it? I would love to know the hours showing on my truck. Thanks!

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
odometer on the face, hour meter on the inside, key on top. can easily be opened with a small paperclip as a lock pick as there are only 3 disks in 'lock'

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
once you get accustomed to it, it is great. and the clock is a great feature. and yes they DO have a hourmeter........
This is the inside of the vintage model (I usually stick to equipment from the same era as the vehicle I'm working on) and the description of the tachograph in the M809 series TM from 1972, doesn't include an hourmeter.
What model do you have, Tom?

Attachments

Csm Davis

All I have seen have an hour meter on the inside and have seen about fifty so far, also the trucks that have the tachograph seem to read true miles and hours for that truck I think because it maybe harder to get a replacement for.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks