• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tailgate crank clutch

jag7720

Seeing that the weak part of the tailgate crank is the new pot-metal clutches that are being sold by LMC and the like, I had a thought.

How many M1009 owners would be interested in a crank clutch if it was machined out of billet aluminum?

#24 in this image

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attach...e-window-problems-copy_of_crank_small_550.jpg

I don't have any prices yet but If I could get a bunch done I'm sure the price would be around the cost of the crappy pot-metal ones ?

Thoughts?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Here's the issue: When you strengthen one component, instead of the system becoming more reliable, the damage just makes it way down the line to the next vulnerable component. In this case, it will probably strip the regulator gears or break the crank mechanism.

The issue with these is that the entire system (regulator, window guides, etc.) wears out and the window doesn't go smoothly up the tracks or it gets cocked in there at an angle and locks up. When this happens, the user applies more force on the window crank, eventually breaking something.

jag7720

Here's the issue: When you strengthen one component, instead of the system becoming more reliable, the damage just makes it way down the line to the next vulnerable component. In this case, it will probably strip the regulator gears or break the crank mechanism.

The issue with these is that the entire system (regulator, window guides, etc.) wears out and the window doesn't go smoothly up the tracks or it gets cocked in there at an angle and locks up. When this happens, the user applies more force on the window crank, eventually breaking something.
So let's not do anything...?

meh... that clutch is so weak. I broke a brand new one in a matter of weeks... I went and got one from a wrecking yard that has lasted a very long time.

My window is in great shape and slides smoothly...

The new stuff that people are buying is crap and the OEM stuff is getting harder to locate.

The three weakest parts of that system are the #1. the clutch, #2 the hinge on the crank arm and #3 the part of the crank arm that holds the key tumbler.

The rest is either stationary or just needs to be de-gummed and greased up.

The stuff i have been getting lately is chinese garbage from LMC. Any improvements will most likely come out as good or better than OEM that you make. I dont need one but if I did I would certainly get one from you over LMC junk.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seeing that the weak part of the tailgate crank is the new pot-metal clutches that are being sold by LMC and the like, I had a thought.

How many M1009 owners would be interested in a crank clutch if it was machined out of billet aluminum?

#24 in this image

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attach...e-window-problems-copy_of_crank_small_550.jpg

I don't have any prices yet but If I could get a bunch done I'm sure the price would be around the cost of the crappy pot-metal ones ?

Thoughts?

lol where can i get part # 30 at lol mines broke auaaua

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks