• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Take a brake bleeder kit with you to pick up a deuce

KaiserM109

I'm going to let bushman5000 tell the story, since it was his trip and he has the camera, but there is one item I would like to relate, well 2.

Norman, OK is the 4th site I have picked up equipment at and once again I can say that the folks at the site are great!! It is a National Guard maintenance depot and the Master Sergeant that runs the place is all business, as a MSgt should be, but down to earth too. So were the mechanics who tried to help with our brake problem. The closest they came when I asked them if they could help with an air-over-hydraulic brake system was “You must be picking up a deuce!”

The right rear wheel cylinder had leaked out all the fluid from there to the master cylinder. ADVICE TO PEOPLE PICKING UP A DEUCE: Take a brake bleeder kit with you and about 2 qt. of fluid. We improvised a bleeder kit and got the job done. I’m going to try Kenny’s power bleeder.

' Gotta put in a good word for the folks at Ft. Sill, OK too. My daughter and son-in-law picked up my heaters there, so I can't claim having set foot on the site. They gave me a special pickup time to make our trip work. I faxed my daughter the permission papers and everything went very well.

yes the bleeder kit like Kennys is what i use and it works wonders.. and as you stated its a must with a couple bottles of fluid. have had to bleed breaks on the last 4 trucks that was driven off base home. A very handy tool.

papercu

kit

A power kit is fine for the shop but a low tech and simple way is just some clear plastic hose sized to fit tight over the bleeder valve and long enough to reach the MC is all that is needed.
Want to make your own home made power bleeder, here is one example. Wayne

http://p-car.com/diy/bleeder/

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: kit

I'll endorse Kenny's insect sprayer power bleeder, my brakes have remained solid for a couple of years now, never had to add fluid during my cross country trip even. No air pockets in the lines to worry about.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
KaiserM109 said:
I'm going to let bushman5000 tell the story, since it was his trip and he has the camera, but there is one item I would like to relate, well 2.

Norman, OK is the 4th site I have picked up equipment at and once again I can say that the folks at the site are great!! It is a National Guard maintenance depot and the Master Sergeant that runs the place is all business, as a MSgt should be, but down to earth too. So were the mechanics who tried to help with our brake problem. The closest they came when I asked them if they could help with an air-over-hydraulic brake system was “You must be picking up a deuce!”

The right rear wheel cylinder had leaked out all the fluid from there to the master cylinder. ADVICE TO PEOPLE PICKING UP A DEUCE: Take a brake bleeder kit with you and about 2 qt. of fluid. We improvised a bleeder kit and got the job done. I’m going to try Kenny’s power bleeder.

' Gotta put in a good word for the folks at Ft. Sill, OK too. My daughter and son-in-law picked up my heaters there, so I can't claim having set foot on the site. They gave me a special pickup time to make our trip work. I faxed my daughter the permission papers and everything went very well.

Arlyn,

Guess what I had in the back of my M1008......power bleeder, master cylinder, 2 extra wheel cylinders....

I was WAY to far away by the time I listened to your voice mail, and by that time I had problems of my own...

Was good to meet you, maybe we can do the convoy next time?

Ed

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: Take a brake bleeder kit with you to pick up a deuce

Kinda wished you guys would stop calling it my powerbleeder. I got the idea from someone else. Makes me look like some kind of savior, and that I'm not.

KaiserM109

FMJ said:
Guess what I had in the back of my M1008......power bleeder, master cylinder, 2 extra wheel cylinders....

I was WAY to far away by the time I listened to your voice mail, and by that time I had problems of my own...

Was good to meet you, maybe we can do the convoy next time?

Ed
For those reading this, Ed was inspecting his hook up when we pulled into Norman. He left me with a lug wrench and bar and began his trip home.

THANKS ED! I left you the message asking for advice about ½ hr after you left. When we got the truck working I went to call you again, but the screen on my phone has gone crazy. I can receive calls and send them, but I can’t look up any numbers; yours was stored in the phone.

We watched the wheel cylinder and fluid level all the way home, but it didn’t leak any more and the pedal is 1 inch from the top and solid.

Bushman5000, the deuce owner, will have to tell you the rest of the story and show you the pictures, but there was nothing spectacular except the first glimpse of the Rockies.

Arlyn

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks