• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Taking down the spare tire

Perhaps someone with experience can give me some tips on taking down the spare tire because I've never done it on my 1078A1.

I have the operators manual for the 1078 which is dated 1998 and when I look at the photos in Section III, 3-5 on how to accomplish this it looks like there is an arm that the safety chain attaches too. I don't see an "arm" on my set up. Perhaps I'm just misinterpreting the drawing or there were some changes to the set up on the A1 series. It appears that my rack would pivot out parallel to the ground and the tire would then be suspended by the safety chain. However, due to the weight, if it's not resting on the ground, how would one go about getting it off the chain.

I would like to practice this in case I actually need to do it someday. I've removed the lug nuts, have an adequate jack and understand the mechanics of changing a tire, because I've done it countless times on smaller vehicles, but I'm nervous about taking this one down because this beast is reported to weigh upwards of 350 pounds.

I'm assuming that putting it back up there is a simple reverse of the procedure. "Simple" is relative.

So if anyone can give me some tips or things to watch out for I'm all ears....

Regards,

Last edited: