• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Taming "Brutus"

m1028#13

Well, I have had the truck for a few weeks now, and I've been slowly but surely working out it's issues as time and money permits. My goal is to get this truck into shape for being my daily driver. I don't have to drive far so I'm not too worried about other issues that I'm sure will come up as time goes by.

So far this forum has been an AWESOME resource as far as info goes. I want to thank everyone who has helped contribute to this info. I'll periodically update this thread (hopefully with pictures) as i fix things and get this old beast more roadworthy.

So here's the tally so far:

Fixed

-Exhaust (needed pass. side tail pipe and driver side muffler)
-Missing lug nuts (but still need to replace to broken wheel studs)
-New front battery hold down and new wing nuts for rear
-New air filter
-Mounted glow plug and starter switches (had them literally hanging out of the dash when i got it)
-New battery terminals (3 of the 4 were all chewed up when i got it)

To do

-Replace glow plugs (at least 3 are bad)
-Rewire manual glow plug button (crappy job with spliced wires everywhere done by previous owner)
-Flush and pressure test the spare radiator i got with the truck
-Replace radiator (pinhole leak)
-Replace all belts
-Replace harmonic balancer (on it's last legs, the rubber is starting to push out on one side)
-Replace oil cooler lines (weeping, but not blown YET)
-Flush brake system and replace fluid (someone put dot3 in it with the dot5)
-Check brake rotors, pads, shoes, and drums. Replace as necessary
-Find out how in the heck you're supposed to be able to check the clearance on the gear reduction starter the previous owner put on it, shim as necessary.
-Rewire starter switch (wired directly at this point, no relay or anything!)
-Find a decent set of tires (preferably 285/75s) for as cheap as possible)
-Body work (needs 2 cab corners, driver side rocker panel, repair panel for pass. fender, a tailgate, and a set of inner fenders)
-Replace all fluids and filters not already replaced

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks