• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tank for air tools

liljohn

Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in hot-rodding, but since I'm actually trying NOT to modify my deuce I guess I'll put it here. :)

Anyway I have a rig I want to build for running air tools off my deuce. I've heard several suggestions saying that the deuce has enough oomph in the system, but that an air tank would be good if you want to run air tools. Well like I said I'm trying to keep my rig stock, so my idea was to get an air tank, with two lines coming off it: one to a gladhand to hook to the system at the back of the deuce, and the other with your standard 1/2" quick-disconnect for connecting more hose/tools. That way I just hook it up when it's needed, and throw it in the bed when it's not. When I want to shine her up for a parade or whatnot, I can leave it home.

Anyway, long story short I'm just wondering what size air tank would be best. I've got my eye on a 5 gallon tank at Harbor Freight, but they also have a 10 gallon for only $10 more. But if the 5 would be plenty, well, it's easier to lug around and it's cheaper, so that's what I'd do. But if it's not gonna be enough, I'll spring the extra $10 and get the bigger tank.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brian, the first stubborn fastener you come to, you will wish you had the bigger tank. Most of the air storage tanks have quite a large opening in them. You could remove the whole valve assy and insert a tee and reinstall the valve assy. The other end of the tee can be your working air line. We call these an air pig and they are also good for collecting some moisture if you're going to do any painting.

Katch1

yeah go for the 10 gal tank, I'm currently in the process of mounting one under the bed of my deuce to run air tools while away from home, and the bigger air tools are more air hungry than I thought and currently have a 5 gal I no longer need

aboonski

Glad Hand Auxillary Air Tank

I just uploaded another Youtube video about using an in-line auxillary air tank in conjunction with the glad hand emergency air outlet at the back of the deuce. I took pictures of some of the parts needed to accomplish this which are obtainable at Harbor Freight Tools for minimal cost. You can use any size air tank or multiple tanks if you want but this really does work. Here's a link to the YouTube video:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEVf0trVqiI[/media]

The small hose with the male disconnect fittings at each end is called a "lead in line" and is in the air tool area of Harbor Freight Tools (peg board section).

The "triple air outlet" is in the same area. Both of these items a super cheap.

You must have a quick disconnect on the glad hand air line that comes from the truck. Without turning on the shut-off valve in the auxillary tank, plug the lead-in cheater hose into one of the three female quick disconnects, then plug the other end into the glad hand hose. Turn the valve on the auxillary tank to let the air into the tank. Plug in your supply hose for your air tool and go to work! When you are finished, be sure to turn off the tank valve before pulling the quick disconnects off of the cheater line; failure to do so will result in rapid loss of air pressure in the auxillary tank or the air tanks in your deuce depending on which quick disconnect you loosen first!

Using the lead-in cheater hose you can quickly and easily fill the auxillary tank from either your glad hand system or your home compressor but the trick is to turn off the auxillary tank valve first (when the tank is full) then disconnect the cheater hose from the glad hand supply line (or your home compressor) second; basically common sense here.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks