• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tarp cleaning and stave length

Jeepsinker

I have three green vinyl cargo covers that came with some deuces I picked up recently, but they were folded up laying in the bed and have some pretty bad rust staining, some spots even are crusty rusty. Not sure about using CLR to clean them as it says it may discolor/ destroy some fabrics. I know I'm not the only person who has a rust stained cargo cover here. What have you guys used in this case to clean them with? I also just got some 5 ton staves and was wondering what length I need to chop them down to in order for Deuce use. They are fiberglass.

armytruck63

I cleaned a tarp on a warm day on a clean cement driveway with water, a broom and dish soap. I didn't have any rust stains, however. I would try the CLR on an inconspicuous corner of the tarp and see what happens.

I think the deuce and 5-ton staaves are the same length, but that's just the feeling I get from being hunched over in the back of both trucks.

Jeepsinker

Alright CLR it is then. I did have the staves and bows installed yesterday and they looked a little taller than they should, when I put the cover on it came up to be around 8" short of being even with the bed sides on both sides of the truck. Didn't even have enough rope to tie it to the tie downs. Normally in a deuce bed I have to hunch over as well, but I didn't have to with these installed. I slid all of the staves down until they stopped, and they all stopped at the same height but they don't seem to slide all the way to the floor. Seems like they stop at just about the top of the bed rail.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sometimes the wood staves break off in the bed sides, might want to look down and see if thats your issue.

Jeepsinker

DH said that he has used CLR with good results. I have no reason not to believe the man, and I think my fiancée has some hidden around here still so that's what I'm going to use. She hides it from me since every time I use it, I use all of it...

Jeepsinker

Oh roger that, I wasn't trying to get smart with you or anything. Will let you know how it goes. Did find my stave problem earlier during a slight break in the rain. Some special person that had this truck before me decided to drop some 2" wide strips of plywood down into each stave pocket. Got all of them out now except the two front. Gotta get creative to fish those two out without removing the troop seats.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen a few deuce's with extra tall tarps. I'm not sure what they were used for.
Digging up an old thread here, but our maintenance section had our parts and tool deuce with extra tall bows. We had parts and tool cabinets in it, and the rear end was actually framed in with 2x4's and plywood, with a steel door like you'd have for a house framed in. There was steel mesh on the sides so no one could take anything out. On hot days you could roll up the canvas on the sides for ventilation. It was basically a field mod since we didn't have an expandable van or shelter to take to the field. The top also had fiberglass sheet under the canvas. We had a sewing machine for heavy canvas repairs that was used to add about a foot and a half or two to the sides for the extra height. I'm 6' 1" and I could stand up inside. It was even wired with converter so we had 120v lighting and an outlet.
I'm thinking some units made these mods to have a cheap version of the shelter box. Good for meetings, planning, commo, etc, or even just more cargo capability.

HDN

Digging up an old thread here, but our maintenance section had our parts and tool deuce with extra tall bows. We had parts and tool cabinets in it, and the rear end was actually framed in with 2x4's and plywood, with a steel door like you'd have for a house framed in. There was steel mesh on the sides so no one could take anything out. On hot days you could roll up the canvas on the sides for ventilation. It was basically a field mod since we didn't have an expandable van or shelter to take to the field. The top also had fiberglass sheet under the canvas. We had a sewing machine for heavy canvas repairs that was used to add about a foot and a half or two to the sides for the extra height. I'm 6' 1" and I could stand up inside. It was even wired with converter so we had 120v lighting and an outlet.
I'm thinking some units made these mods to have a cheap version of the shelter box. Good for meetings, planning, commo, etc, or even just more cargo capability.
That's really cool! If I get another truck without seats and bows in the back I might try this (y) I think a LMTV bed tarp would be perfect.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's really cool! If I get another truck without seats and bows in the back I might try this (y) I think a LMTV bed tarp would be perfect.
All you need to do is have longer staves that you can change out, and a bigger tarp. It wouldn't take long to swap them out with a helper.

Jeepsinker

All you need to do is have longer staves that you can change out, and a bigger tarp. It wouldn't take long to swap them out with a helper.
Or do what I experienced in the very beginning of this thread and just drop some pieces of wood cut to the length of extension he needs down into the stave pockets so the staves sit up higher.

Reactions: HDN

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or do what I experienced in the very beginning of this thread and just drop some pieces of wood cut to the length of extension he needs down into the stave pockets so the staves sit up higher.
But then you have to lift the whole thing out if you want the short staves back in again... depends on if you want one size or the other permanently.