• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tatra, more questions

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's good to have Tatra owners with us and an opportunity to get questions answered that have been lingering!
Here are a couple:
1) How are the axles configured for highway driving, are they separated by differentials?

2) How do you gain access to the inside of the tube for service? How much of it is filled with oil if any?

Thanks

tatra813

cranetruck said:
It's good to have Tatra owners with us and an opportunity to get questions answered that have been lingering!
Here are a couple:
1) How are the axles configured for highway driving, are they separated by differentials?

2) How do you gain access to the inside of the tube for service? How much of it is filled with oil if any?

Thanks
for highway driving you just use the two rear axles for power. There is a selector to engage the front two offroad if you need it and there is a different selector to lock all 4 axles.

The center tube is totaly immersed in oil, it is not real easy to access inside it but you can take it apart in sections (flanged) the half axles come out pretty easily to do work on them if needed, althogh everything is heavy so its not that easy.

tatra813

cranetruck said:
tatra813 said:
for highway driving you just use the two rear axles for power... .
Okay, but is there an interaxle differential, the deuce for example, doesn't have one?
I guess Im not sure what a interaxle differential is, if you see the drivetrain on the youtube video previously mentioned you can see there is a differential on each axle
there is a I guess you could call it a transfer case between the front and rear axles except it is mounted above the tube and bolted on with all mechanisims internal.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: Tatra, more questions

Watching the many videos on youtube etc, it looks like the Tatra gets a lot of its performance edge from locking differentials (and, of course, drivers with a death wish) and not so much the independent suspension, which often shows a wheel in the air without ground contact.
Wonder why the locking differential feature is so rare amongst US MVs.....not needed to meet mil spec?

tatra813

Re: RE: Re: Tatra, more questions

cranetruck said:
Watching the many videos on youtube etc, it looks like the Tatra gets a lot of its performance edge from locking differentials (and, of course, drivers with a death wish) and not so much the independent suspension, which often shows a wheel in the air without ground contact.
Wonder why the locking differential feature is so rare amongst US MVs.....not needed to meet mil spec?[/quote

I always wondered the same thing, I added Detroit lockers to my old duece and it did wonders to improve performance. My guess is they arnt really designed for extreme offroad where you would really need it. Luckily you can add it to most any truck.

When you go as extreme as the you tube vids go It doesn't matter what kind of axle setup you have there is always going to be a wheel off of the ground, nothing is going to have that kind of suspention travel.

Elwenil

RE: Re: RE: Re: Tatra, more questions

It may have something to do with the cost of a selectable locker and the fact that "automatic" lockers like a Detroit change the driving characteristics so much. When soldier "A" is used to driving a open differential Deuce and then jumps in one with Detroits on wet pavement, he is in for a whole new experience that would more then likely end up with property damage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks