• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tearing apart LU4 winch

joelroll

I'm tearing apart my Braden LU4 winch and I have run into a snag. I can't seem to get the keys off of the main spool shaft on the clutch side and also the key on the worm shaft by the brake. has anyone done this before? I appreciate any tips or tricks to get them off. vise grips and prying them out aren't working. let me know if there is another tactic I am overlooking. Thanks! Joelroll:lost:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drive a chisel into the end of the key and pry up on the key using the chisel as a lever.

Oldfart

As I recall, those keys are rounded on the ends. A chisel or punch can drive them loose, but you run the risk of needing replacement keys. You can take standard key stock and grind the ends to fit the pockets. If you are referring to the half moon keys, they can sometimes be rocked up on one end by using a punch to drive the opposite end down into the slot and around until they loosen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks