• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tell me what I'm supposed to hear

galeo7171

When the 6.2 diesel is idling, what noises should I hear. What are bad noises? I listened to the motor while it was idling, and I could hear rattling noises in the top end, like marbles rolling around a tin can, this normal? Also, where the exhaust mounts to the manifold, there are two bolts with springs on them, How tight should these bolts be?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Tell me what I

NO!..What are you gonna do with that!?...Not ANOTHER one!...Where are you gonna put THAT one!?...sorry :shock:
If you don't hear any loud bangs or knocks, and there are no signs of coolant in the oil , oil in the coolant and no excessive smoke..black or white/blue id say it's normal. If you listen hard enough, you can hear anything in a diesel.

galeo7171

no oil in the coolant, no coolant in the oil. Now you're saying black and white/blue smoke is normal or not normal?

galeo7171

The only time it smokes is when I first crank it up (the injection pump has leak thoiugh so it probably gets air in the lines... and it will have a little bit of smoke when I get on the throttle. But it doesn't smoke just driving normally down the road

beaubeau

galeo7171, These 6.2 diesels are Loud! I bet if you check the Wing nuts on your air cleaner, they are loose. That would make a Barrel noise on top of engine. Also note after engine Warms up a while, it gets quieter. Just keep clean diesel and clean engine oil and it will keep running. Good luck, Phil

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I f you are worried about what's goin' on inside, take the oil filter off and cut it open. Look between the pleats for any chunks of metal.

dependable

If your engine ever sucked glow plug tip(s) down you may need to replace piston & wrist pin. Mabey you should listen to a 6.2 you know is good, As was mentioned, All diesels make more noise than gas and you can drive yourself nuts with ghosts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks