• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Terminal size connectors on coolant temp switch

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am considering getting a box of terminals that will work with the blades on this switch (and anywhere else on that set that might call for this connection). Same set as the preheat is on... noticed one of the leads on the coolant temp swith had pulled out of the crimped fitting. Just want to source a box of the right parts. Thanks

Kenny0

I am considering getting a box of terminals that will work with the blades on this switch (and anywhere else on that set that might call for this connection). Same set as the preheat is on... noticed one of the leads on the coolant temp swith had pulled out of the crimped fitting. Just want to source a box of the right parts. Thanks
I am assuming that you are talking about the ones in the picture
P1000801.jpg
These are called fully insulated 1/4 inch female sliding connectors. I like the ones with nylon insulation and the ones with the funnel in the barrel which makes inserting the wire much easier, especially in awkward positions. IMO the connector on the left will stand up better in high vibration areas. The one on my 802 has one like the one on the right.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Kenny. I found my spool of .312 connectors that I bought for my load bank project, and realized that what I needed was probably 1/4". Thanks for confirming.

I have a parts 802 that I just nipped the connector and part of the wire lead out of to make the fix on the fly.

Guyfang

Staff member
I am assuming that you are talking about the ones in the picture
View attachment 710539
These are called fully insulated 1/4 inch female sliding connectors. I like the ones with nylon insulation and the ones with the funnel in the barrel which makes inserting the wire much easier, especially in awkward positions. IMO the connector on the left will stand up better in high vibration areas. The one on my 802 has one like the one on the right.
If I remember correctly, the one on the right comes in a male, female. You can insert the male into the female, but BOTH are fully inclosed. Mostly, it dosnt make a difference when using these connectors. But every once in a while, like when you have to redo the magnetic pickup wires, its kinda neat to be able to insert them into one another. And, as a matter of fact, the connectors for the mag pickup, and the wire harnes ARE such connectors. The barrel is a tad longer then normal, and that makes it much easyer to get them apart, when you need to.

Part number RB2573, NSN 5940-01-082-3321, TERMINAL,QUICK DISC
AAJUOVERALL LENGTH0.880 INCHES
AAJXMATERIAL THICKNESS0.030 INCHES
AAKGQUICK DISCONNECT STYLETAB RECEPTACLE MODIFIED
AAKJWIDTH OF TAB ACCOMMODATED0.250 INCHES
AAKVMAXIMUM CONDUCTOR SIZE ACCOMMODATED14 AWG
AALVELECTRICAL INSULATION FEATUREINSULATING SLEEVE
AAPCIDENTIFICATION CODE COLORBLUE
AGAVIII END ITEM IDENTIFICATIONMRAP BUFFALO MK2A2; MRAP - COUGAR CAT1 A2
AGTABASIC SHAPE STYLEINTERNAL
CSFJCONDUCTOR ACCOMMODATION TYPERECESSED BARREL SINGLE END
FEATSPECIAL FEATURESFULLY INSULATED
MATTMATERIALPLASTIC POLYAMIDE INSULATION
PRPYPROPRIETARY CHARACTERISTICSPACS
SFTTSURFACE TREATMENTTIN OVERALL EXCEPT INSULATION SINGLE LAYER

Part number, RB25177 NSN 5940-01-139-0853, TERMINAL,QUICK DISC
AAJUOVERALL LENGTH1.130 INCHES
AAJXMATERIAL THICKNESS0.032 INCHES
AAKGQUICK DISCONNECT STYLETAB
AAKHTAB WIDTH0.250 INCHES
AAKVMAXIMUM CONDUCTOR SIZE ACCOMMODATED14 AWG
AALVELECTRICAL INSULATION FEATUREINSULATING SLEEVE
AAPCIDENTIFICATION CODE COLORBLUE
AGTABASIC SHAPE STYLEEXTERNAL
CSFJCONDUCTOR ACCOMMODATION TYPESTRAIGHT BARREL SINGLE END
MATTMATERIALCOPPER OVERALL EXCEPT INSULATION
MATTMATERIALPLASTIC INSULATION
PMLCPRECIOUS MATERIAL AND LOCATIONEXTERNAL SURFACES EXCEPT INSULATION SILVER
PMWTPRECIOUS MATERIAL AND WEIGHT0.040 SILVER GRAINS, TROY
PRMTPRECIOUS MATERIALSILVER
SFTTSURFACE TREATMENTSILVER OVERALL EXCEPT INSULATION SINGLE LAYER

I will try and see what these are in the real world. I am still having trouble with my computer, so it may take a bit. I think MOLEX and 3M supplyed them, but not sure.

Last edited:

Kenny0

If I remember correctly, the one on the right comes in a male, female. You can insert the male into the female, but BOTH are fully inclosed. Mostly, it dosnt make a difference when using these connectors. But every once in a while, like when you have to redo the magnetic pickup wires, its kinda neat to be able to insert them into one another. And, as a matter of fact, the connectors for the mag pickup, and the wire harnes ARE such connectors. The barrel is a tad longer then normal, and that makes it much easyer to get them apart, when you need to.

I do have the male counterpart for the one on the right. Nice if you need a disconnect on something. Never have seen the long barrels, that would make it a lot better for pulling them apart. Once replaced a connector with one like on the right and 2 weeks later the connector came loose again, replaced with one like on the left and that did it. Could have been a bad connector also.

Ray70

If you need these in a hurry you can get them from pretty much any auto parts store as well as Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart... etc. they are sometimes referred to as .250" Female Faston connectors. Usually sold color coded based on the wire gage they accept. the Red ones fit good on the small wires 18-22 AWG , blue fits 16-14 AWG and yellow fits 10-12 AWG.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All I had were some blue in my garage, so thats what I used to splice the donor from my 802, to the existing wire.

Ray70

A little trick I learned was to strip the wire twice as long as normal, fold the stripped section in half and twist it, then insert it into the connector and crimp. That way you have twice as much wire inside the crimp area when you're using terminals that are meant for a larger diameter wire than what you've got.

Guyfang

Staff member
The best tminals I found were Lawson. Their crimping took was crap, but the terminals were great. Soooooooooooo, I went looking around my garage, for a Lawson box I found in the trash many moons ago.

Male Quick Slide Fully Insolated
12-10 gage
.250 Tab Width
part number 86052

Female Quick Slide Fully Insolated
12-10 gage
.250 Tab Width
part number 86064

Male
16-14 gage
.250 Tab
# 82924

Female
16-14
.250 Tab
# 81114

Male
22-18
.250 Tab
# 86048

Female
22-18
.250 Tab
# 86064

if and when ever get my computer back, I will post some pictures.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks