• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Test drove a M1008 today...questions

Milbikes

I test drove a M1008 today. It had been warmed up when I got there (Cold New England day). There was no glow plug light, and it started right up. Owner says when cold it needs a jump to start. The idle seemed high. I drove it up and down the road. At 45 it seemed like it was really winding (I used to have a 4 cylinder land rover, so slow is not foreign). When I got back to the yard, I stopped, and when I put it in reverse, there was a pretty good clunk. I thought it was due to the high idle. Then when I put it into drive, it clunked again, although not as bad. Was this clunking due to a high idle...or something worse?

The way it was winding at 45 made me not want to go any faster. Is there anything that might make it seem reluctant to go over 45? I would like to have a reasonable 50mph capability without it screaming at me. It is a NJ truck, but is fairly solid, seat is not ripped, dash ok, has some dents.... I don't mind minor upkeep/repairs, but I don't want to get into replacing expensive heavy parts. Thanks for any tips.

On another note, I have a mint 2002 kawasaki police bike that was never in service, and I would rather have a really solid M1008.....

4bogginchevys

clunk could have been u-joints, or you could check for pinion slop in and out, easy check next time you go to look at the truck.
45 was tops for my 1008 when I got it, with 33" tires I put on 50 is pretty easy now.

If it requires a jump to start i'd be weery of bad batts or alts, bargaining tool
The high idle should have gone away before your test drive was done, especially if it was warming up when you got there, doesn't sound good. good luck2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks