• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TH400 transmission, truth or myth????

ssgtwright-usmc

I remember reading an article in 4 wheeler magazine this year in a section called "project reject". This is where they take broken 4x4 and try to give it some life for a few dollars.
In this article they have a 84 M1008 from the junk yard in which they had a hard time starting but finally did. One of the comments in the article was this, "A quick check of the dipstick revealed a severely overfilled transmission. No biggie, as a TH400 always spits out what it doesn't want. "
To me, I was taught that too much fluid can lead to low vacuum pressure and also cause slipping.
I was not aware of any TH400, civilian or military wise being able to spit out extra fluid unless you blow a gasket.
What are your all thoughts on this one??????

tlm47201

I used to do the trannies at the stealerships, as well as a side business building performance trannies. The 400 is exactly like any other, in that if overfilled, it will froth and foam, and vent fluid, and yes, the overfilling can lead to damage. Those folks at those mags, are low paid, and usually not at knowlegeable as they would like to believe. The tranny they talked of, obviously had sat, and when that happens, fluid will drain back to the pan, and takes a little while to pump back to where it belongs. A quart or so over full, no biggie. 3 or more, look out.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Those folks at those mags, are low paid, and usually not at knowlegeable as they would like to believe.
This is a very good point and one I'd like to expand on.

I have worked, on and off, for almost my entire life in the automotive industry in one form or another. At different points, I worked for 2 of the largest musclecar restoration parts suppliers and in that capacity, I met a lot of people in the business/hobby.

First point I should make it that magazines exist to sell advertising. Not to teach you things, or make the hobby easier. They sell advertising by offering a product that they hope will attract the most people.

So how do you attract the largest group of people? Tell them what they want to hear!

In the Nineties, when the 5-liter Mustangs were the fast street cars of choice, a # of magazines popped up to feed this huge market. And inevitably, they would write some stupid article about how to run 12's for $1K or something like that.

So we (the sales dept. at a Mustang parts supplier) would get these calls asking if we had certain parts, etc. And they'd ask us "Is this going to work?" and we'd have to say "no" and they would say "BUT WHY, THE MAGAZINE SAID THIS WOULD WORK?!".

To which we would have to say "Did you buy the magazine?"

"yes"

"Then they've got their money, they don't care if you put a 300 horsepower nitrous kit on your totally stock Mustang and blow the head gaskets out, melt all 8 pistons, explode the T-5, pretzel the driveshaft and split the ring gear in half, all on one launch. It's no hair off their back. In fact, they know you will buy next months magazine where they describe how to rebuild your T-5 for the cost of a hamburger."

Ever noticed how all the magazines aimed at old cars repeat the mantra about old cars being simple and not requiring thousands of dollars of specialized tools? It couldn't be because that's what people want to believe and if they spoke the truth "If you wanna' play with old cars, you're gonna need a 1200 sq. ft. shop and $20K worth of tools" they would lose readers to the other magazines who are happy to lie and say "Oh, anyone can do this with a socket set"?

What hogwash. Only specialized tools you won't need is a scanner for the ECM. Otherwise, you will still needs thousands of dollars worth of tools. When I bought my house, my insurance company wanted a list of my tools and their replacement value for the homeowner's policy and it exceeded $20K.

Second part is that magazines hire writers. Not professionals in the industry. It doesn't matter how much you know about the subject matter if you don't understand the different between there, their and they're. If the article a writer submits looks like an illiterate monkey wrote it, they can't publish it, regardless of how accurate it is. So they typically look for writers and if they can find them with automotive knowledge, it's a plus. Not a requirement.

Bottom line? read everything you can, but take it with a grain of salt.

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Amen, the same applies to the do it your selfer magazines for construction projects. If it really WAS that easy, then we wouldn't be in business.The Big Box stores are NOT our competition, they are just a necessary evil.