• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The convoy saga

dmetalmiki

Well I went to our "barn" where our vehicles are stored 150 miles away, wednesday, to prepare some trucks for our UK military show at Beltring this year. The plan was to go early (like the show is on the 18th july) to lay out a display pitch with as many of my vehicle collection as possible. So with 3 drivers we planned to "shuttle" the trucks there. Today (sunday) we set off in POURING rain..so bad that we could hardly see! (what?..OF COURSE murphy got at my wipers wich skidded ineffectually on the arm nut!!)..I took my m109, my M35 and for the first time in six years! (a dream) MY M45 FIRE TRUCK.
Is it old age = lack of confidence as I do not feel sure abouit taking it? .....(saturday there is a horrendous leak from the radiator!) I just gave up on that idea (did I really feel relief though?) , and off I went with my older friends to get some food. (leaving my lad and his freind ((new member to S.S. site "YOUNGANT52" actually)) to arrange the tools etc for the trip. (YES they had allready eaten (they are ALLWAYS eating!))
HA! we get back and there is (the front of) firetruck all over the place! and a radiator standing near by! (from a spares deuce).
1-30 AM and the lads have it all back together and fired up! and LOOKING at me as they say.." you CAN go take it now!". well I could hardly refuse eh?
As said sunday off we go in convoy (me trepidous of course) But you know what despite not being run properly for 7 years the firetruck drove BEUTIFULLY! never missed a beat and despite some seriouse grades LONG GRADES (the worst kind) it pulled up and over all of them in TOP gear! and not on full throttle iether, indeed it was quite capable of accelerating up them!and that with 600 gallons of H2O on board. (this is the truck that came normally aspirated and thin exhaust to which my lad "fitted a "c" whistling turbo and FAT exhaust ah-lah deuce onto from a spare engine we had) the only thing was a loud rattle which scared me untill i realised it was the air valve on the bulkhead blowing off repeatedly..but that stopped after a few miles. the trip was about 70 miles.
And murphy struck again with the help of the attrociouse weather and pouring rain which evidently got into the camera and shorted something so none of the pictures came out! (and the camera is now U.S. as of, as well) We will take pictures of the second convoy and then static pictures of the first convoy on site on that day. I will post pictures of the run and the vehicles on site when the mission is complete, that should be on the 12th july. for the show on the 18th-22nd july. So those posts will be after my "holliday" around the 24th july.
You might like to hear the fitted turbo in the link below. Untill I post the event.
My M45 fire truck - YouTube

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks