• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The electrical gods smiled on me today...

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I won a wiring harness for an M1009 on Ebay last week. With that in mind, I have been having all sorts of electrical problems.

There was one hot wire that appeared to go from the battery to the light switch (more on that in a minute). And another hot wire connected to the connection on the firewall that LOOKED like it went to the glow plug relay card under the dash.

So I figured in preparation to getting ready to remove the old wiring harness and installing the new (to me) wiring harness, I would at least track down where these two 'unnecessary' hot wires went to.

The one connected to the battery ended up connecting to a cigarette lighter in the normal place. The other hot wire that was connected at the junction on the firewall DID go to the light switch. But it was not a snip and clip type of job, just a 'strip back' some plastic and add this hot wire to the light switch. I guess those county sheriff guys had 'issues' with figuring out the how the two switches next to the light switch worked and just wired around it (so to speak).

ANYWAY, while removing that wire from the light switch and then covering the stripped wire with electrical tape, I noticed a wire just hanging there. It had a broken connection. I looked up under the dash and went 'no, it can't be that easy'.

It was a ground wire. I snipped the broken end off, put a new end on and then put it back in place on the drivers side wall up under the dash. There is a three pronged metal connector that is bolted to the side wall under the dash.

ALL SORTS OF ISSUES ARE NOW RESOLVED.

My windshield wipers now work (YEAH) - though I will need to replace the wiper motor because it's really S L O W - but that's an easy one and I think I've actually got a replacement in my truck parts anyway. My fuel gauge starting showing the CORRECT amount of fuel in the truck (always filled when just sitting in my driveway) - it had never shown more than 3/4's full before now. My turn signals worked but did odd things, like if you tried to turn on the windshield wipers, the turn signals turned on inside the dash, but not on the outside of the truck. My 'seat belt' warning light stayed on FOREVER. But now goes right off. The brake light never worked, but now comes on when you start it then goes off. My volt meter now shows I'm charging solidly in the green, which it has never done. Several other little minor issues that I could not figure out are now resolved.

Funny how one ground wire can cause all those problems.

Check your ground wires folks. It might be the resolution to all sorts of tiny little aggrevating problems.

motormayhem

When I got mine the wiper motor was slow, but a bit of cleaning and oiling of the linkages in the firewall fixed it right up. They even park now :p

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
motormayhem,

That's an excellent suggestion. I'll try it.

My neck/back are killing me right now. I spent almost two hours laying on my back with my hands up under the dash in the last two days.

It wasn't that bad, as I had removed the drivers seat to replace the lower portion of the seat with a correct brown colored seat bum. So I had plenty of room, but dang man, my hands and neck are REALLY sore. I guess that's a sign of old age for sure.

BUT, EVERY THING IS NOW WORKING.

I have dash lights, something I've NEVER had. Even the voltmeter light is working. As is the in cab light.

Windshield wiper motor works. WOO HOO!!!! As I drove home from the Memorial Day parade in a down pour without wipers, I AM ONE HAPPY CAMPER. This is a huge improvement.

mm, I'll try your suggestion and get back with you.

thx.

pbrstreetgang

Which fuse is tied to which alternator / Generator?

I have had head lights flashing, wipers automatically activating the wiper fluid sprayer, and Gen 1 light not coming on, volt meter in yellow, etc.

Barrman

I am trying to write this in the nicest way possible. The -20 manual has a huge trouble shooting section for electrical problems. It walks you through each of the problems mentioned in your post step by step. There is also a wiring diagram, fuse block map and basically everything you need to figure out the problem.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I enlarged the wiring diagram up to an 11 x 18 and then had it laminated so I could trace things without having to use my glasses. Well for the diagram part it works great.

I still need my glasses when I'm chasing wires. OH WELL, just gettin old...

I believe it's the lowest 30 amp fuse on the right (green in my truck).

Hope that helps.