• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The learning curve-mods started

M1008driver

So yesterday we finally dug my truck out of the snow and got it to town. I have been wanting to get things started badly. My brother was a big help in all this.

First we installed Optima D31A batteries with the trays to keep them locked down. These are huge batteries that will last a long time. We found the starter relay and did the doghead relay mod. Now, don't laugh as I am not mechanic.

I looked all over under the hood for the glow plug controller card and could not find it because it is under the dash and decided install my bypass controller next time. The learning curve.

We made the truck tags more permanent with heavy duty brackets and a license plate light to keep it legal. That was easy and thanks to whoever said it is the brown wire.

I have a e-manual and a paper manual I bought off of EBAY. Future projects will be changing the glow plugs and gp connectors, installing a solargizer, floor mats, seat covers, dash lights and acquiring some extra parts to have on hand like alternators and a starter. I need an accessory plug in too.

I want to thank all those on this forum that give honest no BS answers on how to work on our CUCV's. This is the first forum where I can get real information that doesn't send me to the poor house and I appreciate it. SRM

EDIT- I know, I will get some pics later. I have to go out of town today.

Last edited:

M1008driver

I had my transmission serviced today and it did not need it except the military used gasket sealer and now I have a gasket which is better. Stopped down the street and had an oil change.

My brother and I already did the doghead relay mod, license plates with a light and added Optima Batteries. I had the exhaust replaced as mine looked like it was put together with spare parts and got dual Flo-Pro VForce mufflers. They are like FlowMax, but half the price and just as good.

Here are the pics I took. ..(got to have pics) :beer:

EDIT- I also changed the CDR Valve. My M1008 would not climb steep hills good before I replaced the exhaust and CDR. Now it does not slow down. I am getting a Stanadyne fuel system on Tuesday.

Attachments

Last edited:

M1008driver

More than most want too pay...I used a muffler shop, the exhaust and mufflers cost me $647. Since this is a dual exhaust system the cost is higher.

What I can say from my experience, is the exhaust is very important for power and climbing hills. Cheaper than a turbo.

Last edited:

jimmy-90

Yeah I figured it cost a few $. A few years back I had a shop that specialized in tubing,roll cages, narrowed axles, custom exhaust ect bend me up a whole new exhaust system for one of my trucks. It was a 3 1/2" cat back system single exhaust for a 1990 gmc and it wound up costing me more than $950.00. When I went to pick the truck up I was shocked at the total. Part of that price was for a new catalic converter plus they had to re-thread one of the manifolds. Lol these things aren't cheep. Im glad you didn't have to pay like $1000 to get that done and yeah I agree the higher flow mufflers do make these trucks run and sound alot better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks