• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The M-37 in Vietnam

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen many many more 1950-1954 M37s than the later model, the M37B1, which was made in the 1960s. I understand that this is a result of the later model being built with much thinner metal, and many have rusted away (I have read this in several texts as well). Question I have is, if you wanted to restore a true Vietnam-era M37, with marking for a unit in that AO, were there more M37s or M37B1s in Vietnam? Which would be more correct?

I have heard several say that during the late 1960s timeframe, the Cold War was our more urgent need for equipment rather than Vietnam, and most of the good/newer rigs went to places that were Cold War hotspots and not SE Asia. This may be one contributing factor why there were very few M715 trucks from 1967-1969 shipped to Vietnam, and went instead to Germany, Alaska, etc. Same goes for the early 809 series of 5-tons, the M35A2s, etc.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the '70's, there were big stacks of M-37's that were scraped here. Virtually all were fitted with the accessories for the North country. My M-37 is a '51, that came from the Air Force, here. Had it since about 1970. I have never detected a difference in materials. Many differences in how they were equiped, but mostly, I think the basic units were the same.

Lee in Alaska

SasquatchSanta

I don't think there was a difference in the sheet metal in the later model M37s. My second M37 was a B1 and I never noticed a difference. Most of the B1s are probably still in country.

Here is am M37 --- picture taken during Tet 1968

Attachments

SasquatchSanta

I don't think there was a difference in the sheet metal in the later model M37s. My second M37 was a B1 and I never noticed a difference. Most of the B1s are probably still in country.

Here is am M37 --- picture taken during Tet 1968

Attachments

Bill W

B1's don't have thinner metal then the early 37's, Like most vehicles after 1957, detroit went to a different type ( ie: cheaper) sheetmetal that tended to rust easier.

m376x6

Maybe it's climate. Here in the southwest, neither series rusts much. I can't remember there being any version rusting more in the almost 30 M37 series I've owned. Because of the few small upgrades in the trucks, I prefer the B1 series.

Regards,
M376X6

vtdeucedriver

Yes, the B1 Trans has syncro's. You can tell the difference by the top of the trans if its a B1. When I get home I will post pics of mine.(rounded top)

M37B1 had the spare mounted on the drivers door from the factory. To where a stock 50's truck was in the bed. BUT, that does not mean that the kit was not installed and relocated to the door. My M37 was built in 1951 but during its time, it had the spare relocated to the door. So you really cant be sure if its a normal one or a B1 without looking at the truck data plate.

citizensoldier

m376x6 said:
Maybe it's climate. Here in the southwest, neither series rusts much. I can't remember there being any version rusting more in the almost 30 M37 series I've owned. Because of the few small upgrades in the trucks, I prefer the B1 series.

Regards,
M376X6
I have found that the metal is not the same. They rust out much faster here in Michigan. You can take a B1 made in the late 60's and it has twice the rust as a 1951 and almost 18 years less in the elements.
I have been told the old stuff has a much higher nickel content in the steel results from its WWII production roots.
I think all the big three used crap metal from the 60's to the 70's to the 80's.. It realy showed here in one of the salt states with jungle rot summers. :D

amanco

Like most vehicles after 1957, Detroit went to a different type ( ie: cheaper) sheet metal that tended to rust easier.
I think all the big three used crap metal from the 60's to the 70's to the 80's
Makes sence. '57 Chevys are a dime a dozen. How many '58 or '59 Impalas have you seen?

amanco

I do see '57 Fords at car shows and such. I think the better question is how many '58 Fairlanes have you seen? Regardless, I think there is a thread of truth to better sheet metal in vehicles pre-1958.

citizensoldier

How many vehicles from the 60's, 70's,80's could sit out in a field for 60 years and still be drivable? This is a testiment to the WWII stuff.. Not only was the steel thicker it was of a very high quality.
We sold the real bad stuff to Japan in these years for high prices. That is why most Toyotas and such from these years are non existent..LOL Unless your out west in the desert.. Need I say CUCV !!!!

Bill W

B1s don't have fully syncro'd trannys, both the early m37 ( 51-54) and the later B1's with the NP420 tranny are syncro'ed in 3rd and 4th gear only. Now CDN m-37s have a fully syncro'd tranny