• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The M108 That Could

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I watched them very closely. Didn't budge a bit. If I had used chains, I think there would have been damage. Love my straps!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good lift Kenny, you should have your yard "cleaned up" in no time.
Know about those overhead wires, ran into them on my last visit, one is awfully low, maybe 12-13 feet above ground as I recall. If you continue to make these lifts one day you'll forget them. Perhaps time to get them up a bit. :)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If all goes well, the wires will be buried in the spring. One less thing to worry about when the next hurricane comes our way.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My son's mother in had two cars in the back yard, and had an 8 foot high fence put around the yard without a gate big enough to get the old cars out. Yes, I know, DUH, but it happened. We used my M543A2 to lift the cars over the fence and onto a flatbed trailer.
We have a large piece of concrete that weighs around 8,000 pounds we lift with the wrecker, drag a junk car hulk under it, and lower it on the car to compress them nicely for the trip to the scrap dealers in a stack on the trailer.
One of those pieces of equipment that makes you wonder what you did without it!
Regards Marti

JDToumanian

Great pics, I love seeing the little 108's progress... Are you almost ready for paint?

I showed them to my girlfriend to help explain why I "need" a wrecker. She didn't get it. :roll:

Jon

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not ready for paint yet Jon. I'm planning a cab change here shortly. New cab is 300 miles away and my pickup is dead in the yard. Once I have it back I can drift up there and snatch up the cab and get it painted. From there everything fwd of the crane will get paint and the new wiring harness installed. Need to rebuild the cylinders on the crane before I paint that. Little things, by the thousand.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes Sir, rebuild. They work great but leak like a sieve. Need to remove the boom and shipper to get them off. Dman seems to think we can get parts from standard hydraulic shop. Won't be too bad if he can lend hand and he says that he can. I have
TM 9-8023-5 which covers every detail on the crane right down to clearances and allowances. I'm going to try Memphis and some other dealers to see if they have kits for the job. If not, it will come apart and we'll wing it. Hope its not like a few of the hydraulic fittings, they seem to be made of unobtainium I'm told.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rebuilding cylinders is not hard, as long as the rod isn't pitted, or bore scored up. I haven't done those cylinders before, but have repacked many other cylinders at work. Not much different than a brake cyllinder, cups or seals face the pressure side. Plus you have a rod seal to deal with. You could also make up a tester with a hand pump and pressure gauge to check for leaks before reinstalling them. Dman strikes me as the guy to go to.

Getting the cylinders out is is a big job thou!
Dennis

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kevin, it was a painful search findinng that manual. In the end it cost me nearly $40 but worth it. I'll see if I can find the source, if not maybe I can make some photocopies.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks