• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The other infernal wiring thread.

superburban

My suburban's guage fuse blew and I cant locate the short that caused it. :( It's been cold and snowy, so I just rooted around under the dashboard for a while, til I found the headlight buzzer, which started buzzing nonstop after the fuse blew, and rupped it out. I have been driving for a week with no guages. :shock:

If I change the fuse, it blows as soon as there is acc power. I was thinking of starting by removing and testing the gauges, then working my way out. My reasoning is that if the short was happening after the gauges, I would merely have a wacked out reading on one of them, but if the short was happening before the feed to the gauges, it would blow the fuse instantly, like what I am experiencing.

Whaddayathink?

mangus580

I know my brothers 82 Civvy blazer had a fuel heater underneath the manifold. It was powered on the same circuit as the gauges. Might want to see if you can find someone with a civvy schematic....

superburban

You may have something there! The "fuel heater" on 85's is in the filter base. I changed from the box type to a spin on, and thusly unplugged all of the wires going to the old base. I wonder if those loose wires have worked their way down to some metal part and worn through...

To the Superburban. Away!!!

superburban

Fixed! When I popped the hood to check the old filter base wires, I noticed that on of the wires to my temp sensor was touching an injector line. It had rubbed through the insulation, and welded itself to the line. I pulled it loose and covered it up with electricians tape.

Now you can all stop worrying about me.

superburban

I'm just waiting for the day when this truck just falls apart. Completely apart. I imagine in my brain every single fatener coming out at the same time.

If it happened, I would not be surprised.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks