• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The upgrade variants of the M916 NTC400 trucks

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
So this thread will be information, hints, tips, upgrades to the original M916, M917 and M920s that received the 7 speed upgrade.

2 types of the transmission were used a 4700SP WTEC 5 and a HD4560P WTEC 3. Both are double overdrive with .74 and .64 ratios. Both use a device similar to a cruise control module to adjust power to the transmission control module based the pull of a cable attached to the throttle. Both use an 1810 full round output yoke rather than the original 9c.

WTEC 5 TCM reprogram code : 4C0010M1007C

The WTEC 3 trucks like @Castle Bravo has were built by Northrop Grumman in the 2002 to 2004 range. Assuming as a pilot program.These units have air ride cabs, different front end/under hood bracing, and transfer case relocation. I know of 5 of these trucks.

The WTEC 5 trucks seem to be Red River trucks done in 2011 to 2013 range. A few have air ride cabs. Most were left as standard cabs. These trucks did not get the different bracing nor did they get a transfer case relocation. These trucks have ranged from Big Cam 1, 2, and 3 powerboats. These trucks seem to be more common.

They both received upgraded alternators like what is used on the FMTV trucks. Electrical systems pretty much are the same from a standard truck except for the added on transmission harness that is stand alone.

They both have a heat exchanger for the transmission mounted on the frame behind the passengers tire. They did not use a exchanger/air to air like the M915A1 uses. They retained the stock radiators.

They both have the upgraded tachnograph units.

Both have a smaller 18in steering wheel with rubber grip and a bostrom air ride seat

They both use a hydraulic control 870 series parker PTO with an RK output flange. They retained the same hydraulic pump for the winch all around with a 7/8-13 spline adapter. PTO units on these trucks are noisy non shimmed units. They do work in neutral, drive, or reverse as they are not ran off the torque converter. The pto is accessible thru the same floor access panel.

They both used the same Oshkosh 18000 single speed transfer case WTEC 3 trucks had a transfer case relocation done in which it was moved back. The original transfer case to front tandem is 33in long yoke face to face. They relocated it so that the shaft was 16 inches long. The Allison is much longer than the CAT 7155. Without moving the transfer case you have 4 inches between the transmission and it for a jackshaft. By moving it back the distance between the transmission and transfer was extended to 16 inches as well. A CAT 7155 truck as a 14in jackshaft. The front axle to transfer shaft includes a center support bearing on both variants.

The WTEC 5 trucks were opted to not relocate the transfer case but instead used an 1810 joint attached to a coupler. Which in turn bolted to the transfer input yoke. In my opinion this is a stupid design. The joint Is allowed no flex room and it isn't much fun to get out. Not to mention dinky bolts holding in the caps as retainers. It also is a 1810 half round x 4 setup. They do not make a joint like this so you have to buy two spicer 5-676x joints to make what you need. The coupler is not common and must be made by a machine shop if it breaks.

On the WTEC 5 trucks the transmission is powered and grounded with direct leads to the batteries. The Allison works off 12v only. However the ground for the PTO solenoid is located on the dash by the steering column on a dash screw as the same ground as the horn which isn't very good. I suggest a relocate. The Allison power relay box is located on the back wall beside the TCM. This box has 2 fuses in it. One that controls the power into the box from the batteries. One controls power to the controller. The one fuse Is hard to see in the box. I recommend replacing the ATC fuse with resettable ATC fuses. The unit powers up off a single yellow wire off the switch.

Pictures of a WTEC 5 truck below

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Wtec5 truck transfer case relocation option. The short coupler unit does not have long term success for commercial use in my opinion.

The transfer case yoke also uses bolts with springs to secure it which is different from a stock unit.

Relocating the transfer case back 5 inches allows you to use a jackshaft from an M1070 HET. It can be 8.5in collapsed to 10in extended. These are common on ebay. It uses spicer 6.5-3-1451kx slip yoke and 6.5-82-511-1 splined yoke if you wanted to build your own.

You will use a spicer 6-676x joint on the transmission side and a spicer 5-324x conversion joint on the transfer case side. The conversion joint is an 1810 full round and 9c joint together.

You have to redrill the frame moving the case mounts.

You will need the front shaft made longer by 5 inches and the rear shaft shortened from 33in to 28in. This allows for simple shop cost for cutting and rewelding. Tubing is cheap for a longer front shaft.

The winch does not have to be removed but it makes it alot easier. So does having a mag drill..

The 1810 yoke in the picture is just for mock up purposes only.

Total labor time approximately 4.5 hours Working alone. This does not include driveshaft work time.

Attachments

Last edited:

Hammer

They put them in some 920s

I have been looking at a triple overdrive 13 speed eaton for my 920. .84 .73 .60 ratios.
I was not so lucky on either of my M920s.

For heavy haul, I would prefer the 18 spd, but that is only double OD. Still good, but not anything in the .6x range though.
Off road wise, I kind of think I would like the automatic.
On road, manual all the way. I truly like driving the 18spds.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I was not so lucky on either of my M920s.

For heavy haul, I would prefer the 18 spd, but that is only double OD. Still good, but not anything in the .6x range though.
Off road wise, I kind of think I would like the automatic.
On road, manual all the way. I truly like driving the 18spds.
The spicer pro shift is in .70. But with a 920 you have enough room for an auxiliary transmission behind the transfer case. Some of those are in the .65 range

.70 with 12R24.5s is 67mph at 2150.
With 11R24s is 69.

The 7 spd trucks are around 75 in 7th at 2150 on stock tires.

Jeep Nasty

Awesome, my truck already has a build thread and it didn’t require me to do anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Adding another one I completed awhile back. I used the jackshaft from a 916 truck with a CAT.

Jackshaft is 13in long from center to transfer case face. Moving the transfer case back 9 inches works.

Sitting 4.5in below the frame top.

Requires drilling 8 holes. 4 per side. Using 1 existing hole already in the frame thru the winch mounts.

Using a 5-324x joint on the transmission side with the caps from a 5-676x swapped onto the 324x.

Shorten rear driveshaft 8inches. Front shaft is 9inches longer.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Another completed one.

This one went with a 1810 short shaft from a Ford. 13.5in collapsed. 16.5in extended. I wanted to use the one bolt hole on each frame as a guide so i slotted the transfer case bracket to give me the extra inch to the rear I needed for the longer shaft.

Spray wax makes the annualar cutters work very well.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks