• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

the wrecker runs again

drjconley

i got the wrecker running again. the advice from ss was right. my starter not working was a simple ground. everything is running good, but i can not figure out how to get the boom to work. i start the engine, put the parking brake on, but i am having a hard time getting the handle on the left side of the seat to go down to activate the pump to run the boom. are there any ideas on how to get the handle down. fixing the head gasket was a pretty good experience, i enjoyed it and learned alot about the truck. i was also amazed at how much gear oil goes into the winches.
thank you for any advice on how to get that pump going.
jim

papercu

Mine (M816) is the same way, I did't find any adiustment in the book so I just slid under the truck and moved it at the power divider itself. Wayne

Crash_AF

Here's the short side of how to operate the boom...
1) Verify position of controls on back deck... crane engaged, winch disengaged
2) Try clutch lever on rear deck, if clutch engages, pedal will drop to the floor, if not, hold the clutch yourself
3) Put transfer case lever in Neutral
4) Put transmission in 4
5) Pull power divider lever behind driver's seat forward
6) Release clutch (either pedal or lever)

At this point, you should verify that the crane is what's receiving power and not the winch... the controls MAY not be correctly adjusted if you haven't used it before.

FWIW, I use the pedal in the cab and my controls are frozen with the crane engaged I haven't found the time to take them off and free them up. I use the lever on the rear to stop the pump if I am off the back working on rigging or something.

Later,
Joe

Last edited:

drjconley

thank you joe for the excellent explanation. area 51, do you know the number of the tm, i would like to look at a tm that goes into detail of all of the crane and winch controls and operation. when i was putting the heads back on i noticed there is a separate electrical connector attached to the main alternator wire. is there a tm or simple answer what that would be. i cannt figure out anything other than the temp sensor near that wire. the temp sensor is already plugged in, but i dont think it is working. has anyone changed the oil filters to a spin on kind. i think that it would be much easier than what is original on a multifuel. i connected the exhaust stack to the turbo and i am getting a fair amount of leakage from that point. is there an esbestos type of cloth or a gasket that would stop that exhaust gas leakage. will the power divider engage in any gears other than fourth or fifth.
thanks again,
jim

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wow that is a list i dont know about that wire. you need to take some pics so we can see just what your taking about. the power diverter will run on any gear but the pump will not have enought volumn flow to work properly. so stay in at least 4th. i have never dealth with a turbo much but im sure there is a gasket that is used on it. if you use your truck that much and need to change the oil that much then i personally would go to the spin on filters but i dont put enought miles to make it worth my wild. TIm

Crash_AF

The TM for the 543 are the 211 series...
9-2320-211-10 is the operator's manual

4th is best unless your 4th isn't direct... I'm used to my 816 so I'm not sure if your 543 has an OD tranny. Use whichever gear is direct 1:1 in your tranny. I just run the crane in 4th (direct) at idle and have picked up the front of my 818 with it no problem.

I only have 800s and 900s so I'm no help on the engine stuff... LOL

Later,
Joe