• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Theft prevention?

dirtyfingernails

How do I keep my deuce from being stolen out of my driveway? I have the chain and lock for the steering wheel, but that won't keep the curious kids on the block (or Jody) from firing her up. What do you guys do?
Steve

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's the post! Second page. The hinged cover for the on/off sw. That's how i'll do mine.

FormerNewMVGuy

When I leave town i chain the wheel first and then I disconnect the positive battery teminal and lock the battery box closed> Seemed like the way to go to me!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Theft prevention?

NewMVGuy said:
When I leave town i chain the wheel first and then I disconnect the positive battery teminal and lock the battery box closed> Seemed like the way to go to me!
Sounds like a good plan but, if you were to remove the negative cable instead of the positive one you would eliminate the risk of arcing out your wrench to ground.
Safest to disconnect the negative first, and reconnect the negative last.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Theft prevention?

mangus580 said:
Alot of guys take the 'dogbone' out frmo in between the batts
That works too but, you still subject yourself to the possibility of shorting out to ground by removing the dog-bone without first disconnecting the negative cable first.
And if your not using a wrench to tighten the cables and clamps, your going to have a catastrophic failure(guaranteed).
PS. spellcheck broke or is that Pig Latin? (frmo)

Banshee365

I was also thinking of a theft deterent. When I leave the truck running at places I think the chain and lock will do around the steering wheel, it's better than nothing. As far as parking it and shutting it off I was thinking about maybe hiding a switch behind the seat's or something that's in series with the starter button and start selenoid. A switch with a fairly low current rating should suffice for that.

-Kelly

nattieleather

There is a guy who advertises in supply line who sells quick disconnect battery terminals. They are easy to use and are like $10 each. His name is Fred. He's a nice old guy.

OD_Coyote

When securing my truck I do the following:

Disconnect negative battery cable.
Lock battery compartment with pad lock.
Attach the club to the steering wheel.
Lock cab with locking door handles.

- I drilled a hole in the battery compartment door for a pad lock, just like the one in tool compartment door on the driver's side.
- I installed locking door handles for both the passenger and driver's doors.
- I bought a "Club" from DesertRat.

Massm35a2

What I always do is leave the drivers windshield unlached and reach in and lock the door from the inside. Then I just close the windshield so it looks like it is lached. When I come out I just hop on the fender, pull the shield out and reach in.

Blythewoodjoe

I had installed in my old truck (which some of you see often) a keyed ignition switch which broke the hot wire for the on switch and I installed a battery cable disconnect behind the drivers seat. The keyed ignition was enough to keep most people out and the disconnect switch was more of a keep the batteries from getting killed if something was left on. The two together works as good as any older car from the 60's.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Massm35a2, I believe they call that a combat lock. I've done that once while dropping my son off at the airport. Sailor, it's primer. Once day I'll open up a new gallon of paint and fix that and the gouge in the front bumper.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks