• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

There I was. Minding my own business. Boom brake failure.

ida34

I was checking my M818 out before making a trip to get my trailers on Friday. My son was pressing the brake while I was checking lights. All of a sudden, I got sprayed with something as I heard a woosh as my son released the brake. For a second I was trying to figure out how I got sprayed when I had him hit the brakes again. Sure enough the rear brake hose had failed on the rear. I had to get it fixed before Friday. I thought about capping the line and running without brakes on the rear axle. I called Saturn and they next dayed the hoses to me. Expensive but what more could I do? I got them today and plan to put them on tomorrow morning. If I have time after I bleed the brakes I will take the time to do a few more items before the trip. My son had been pressing as hard as he could. I told him not to do that again. I am just glad if failed with me watching it instead of on the road. The hose had failed at the fitting and did not look bad at all on inspection. It was not soft, cracked, or bulging at all. Real unsettling.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: There I was. Minding my own business. Boom brake failure

I believe in hard pedal brake checks in the yard every now and then. I really don't want a brake line blowout during an emergency or panic stop. I like to test them to max pressure right in the yard about once a month(I press and hold for about 30 seconds, feeling for it to leak down). I try to drive pretty gently, knowing I am in a 40 year old truck.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter

glad you had that bit of luck at home an not on the interstate with a load of cars in front on you with there brakes on , you would have looked like a bowling ball going down the center of the lane. looks like a strike!

reuben

I had brake failer in the old chevy dump truck going down a mountain a few years ago, at least it was empty and I could gear down, but with first and second unsyncronized I couldn't get below 3rd. there was a T road crossing at the bottom so I had to pray for a clear intersection and take a wide swing, knocked the stop sign
off it's stake but made it safely. It taught me to always check the brakes and fluid before driving.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks