• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

There, it's a overlander camper thing... Sort of

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter

coachgeo

Saw this in Oceanside CA. Been watching it's progress over the last year. As best I can figure this guy bought this Tatra that was for sale, switched the fire truck body for a flatbed, and strapped down this trailer....
Done!
Has the 54" Michelin ZXL tires. https://www.firetruckmall.com/AvailableTruck/10850/2004-Tatra-Wildland-Ultra-XL-6x6-TankerView attachment 885871
Thanks for posting.

-Curious is that a fixed flat flat bed or a tilt bed?
-Wonder did re-purpose the hitch and make it an attachment to the bed or chassis still with a ball? Have always thought this would be good way to do a T. Trailer mount. That way the trailer suspension and the hitch/ball essentially become a pivoting 3 point mount.
-hope he pulls the tires and hubs, (yet keeps the suspension). That will look so good dropped down as much as possible. Limits will be RV hook ups, T.Trailer's suspension travel. This would seem to be most practical.. Though might need bump stops here and there.
-curious overall height once done.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for posting.

-Curious is that a fixed flat flat bed or a tilt bed?
-Wonder did re-purpose the hitch and make it an attachment to the bed or chassis still with a ball? Have always thought this would be good way to do a T. Trailer mount. That way the trailer suspension and the hitch/ball essentially become a pivoting 3 point mount.
-hope he pulls the tires and hubs, (yet keeps the suspension). That will look so good dropped down as much as possible. Limits will be RV hook ups, T.Trailer's suspension travel. This would seem to be most practical.. Though might need bump stops here and there.
-curious overall height once done.
I was thinking about bringing my M1083 down there and then chatting the guy up comparing rigs.
Last I saw he just had it tied down with chain tensioners at the corners and mounted backwards.
It's going to be pushing the limit on high because it's approximately a 5 ft tall bed. I would definitely advise him to take the wheels off at least and set the axles on blocks.
It's at a strange business with a custom motorcycle shop and a smog shop and something else I'll combined into one fenced in area. Once in awhile I see them customize a former military Hummer with a newish Duramax.

Third From Texas

I was thinking about bringing my M1083 down there and then chatting the guy up comparing rigs.
Last I saw he just had it tied down with chain tensioners at the corners and mounted backwards.
It's going to be pushing the limit on high because it's approximately a 5 ft tall bed. I would definitely advise him to take the wheels off at least and set the axles on blocks.
It's at a strange business with a custom motorcycle shop and a smog shop and something else I'll combined into one fenced in area. Once in awhile I see them customize a former military Hummer with a newish Duramax.
I'm hoping that they have a crane and that's just being store in that configuration to save space.

Perhaps they plan to do a proper build with the two parts.

What is that truck, btw?

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm hoping that they have a crane and that's just being store in that configuration to save space.

Perhaps they plan to do a proper build with the two parts.

What is that truck, btw?

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With CTIS and all differentials lockable from buttons on the dash!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks