• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thing 1 and Thing 2, Drones before the term "Drone" replaced UAV

Cave Johnson

This is sort of an odd thing, but it will probably become more common.

Over a decade ago, I was given Thing 1 and Thing 2. They were property of a battle lab, back before the term "Drone" was coined. They are balsa wood, plastic wrapped, remote control airplanes, with the setup for cameras ect.

Kinda silly, but one day, there will be a forum thread like this for people with repurposed drones. Possibly packbots and other remote control toys. (Thats already true, I made sure a local HS got a packbot)

1650135402569.png

We have cone a loooooong way in 2 decades.

Cave Johnson

Electric or gas powered?
If you want it to be specific, "nitro", which is gas and oil. It's just specific to very tiny 2 stroke engines. I never checked but it might just be the same mixture you put in a weed eater but marked up. Its more volatile than diesel for sure.

marchplumber is correct about batteries. They still dont have the energy density to be worth much for distance. They were trying for the longest time to get off nitro and into a diesel system, same time they were trying to get "hover and stare" capability. That was the T-mav (transitional military air vehicle as I recall) vs the never complete d-mav, which was going to be diesel powered.

Its funny how all that went away faster than dust in the wind when people started making quad rotors as toys.

These were still using analog cameras as well. I have another toy that uses those. A Remington Eyeball system. The gimmick was great at the time. Pull the pin, throw the ball through a window, spin around the camera to see what was going on in the place you threw it. It also was a flash in the pan product, but it was the only one that troops didnt scoff at while saying they would rather have more ammo.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drone didn’t replace UA, UAV or UAS. Those are still proper terms. Drone is slang or just a general name for when someone chooses to use a less descriptive term. It’s been popularized by the media so it seems more common than it used to be.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks