• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking About Getting a Deuce. Couple questions....

mud4me

I have a chance to get a Deuce from a friend. He is going to call me later in the week and we are going to go take a look at it. A fire department has it currently and he said it runs and drives fine. They didnt use it much but got it out enough to keep it in decent running shape. What are some key things to look for when trying to get a good truck? Any trucks i should specifically stay away from?
I also do alot of offroading. Would the truck be able to haul a jeep on 44" tires provided it would fit in the bed area, or if the truck had a flatbed? If the answer to that question is yes, could it also trailer another rig behind it with the above jeep in the bed area. Anybody have any experience hauling offroading rigs or something similar? One more question, what does it take to get one of these legal for the road in Kentucky?

Thanks

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The answers are mostly yes. Where in Ky so a member near you can help. I pull my fsj to my off road events, but my deuce has a box on the back instead of a bed.

mud4me

South Eastern part of Kentucky, but anybody that has got one road legal anywhere in KY would be of great help :D . I am not sure what style bed or box the truck has on it. In the end it will have some type of flatbed on it for my purposes if you can safely haul the jeep i described.

gimpyrobb

Check it out and get some pics. Try to get the data plates, dash area and pics showing the condition of the body. We can go from there. Take it for a test drive and see what you think. :evil:

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Lots of military Jeeps have been hauled in lots of deuces without modification. Dunno if the increased tire size of yours would cause any width issues - the specs of the deuces stock bed are given in the operators manual, which is a free download on this site. If you think you are gonna go buy the truck and drive it home, I urge you to download and read the manual, BEFORE you go after the truck - especially the portion about checking brakes - the life you save could be your own - or more importantly, mine :)!

When I think "Jeep" - I think small military vehicle with 4-cylinder engine. I do not know how a modified Jeep with a lot of lift and larger engine may affect the center of gravity when in the back of a deuce - probably not significantly, but perhaps something to consider.

HTH,
David Doyle

Elwenil

Also consider the fact that most Deuces are slow compared to the average pickup and hauling one Jeep while towing another will mean you will be in a low gear, crawling up hills. It sounds like a 5 ton might be a better choice if you want to haul that much around.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
We have a member here, Chris aka Elohim1, that hauled a lifted Cherokee on Boggers in the bed and pulled a M715 to a rally behind it. He would be a good guy to talk to about your plans.

mud4me

I will download that manual and give it a good read as soon as i can find it. I will get up with chris aka Elohim1 so thanks for pointing me in his direction. As for getting a 5 ton, Hauling two jeeps the way i stated would be a very rare occasion, only for special events, 3 or 4 times a year max. The rest of the time it would just be the one larger jeep on 44's. Thanks for all the replies. Does anyone have any info on getting it tagged in KY?

DanMartin

In addition to downloading and reading the manuals, here are a few PS Magazine links that you should also go through:

Read this one first:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?set_albumName=album36&name=gallery&include=view_album.php

Read through this one next:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?set_albumName=album11&name=gallery&include=view_album.php

Basically these cover the high points of what is in the manual. You'll want to be sure to grab the -10 and -20 manuals and have them printed out and with you just in case you run into any trouble on your trip home. I know I carry them both around in the glove box, and have needed them a few times already.

These trucks are getting older, and come from a time where comfort and ease were not priorities. Remember, these were designed in the late 40's. They are fun to drive, but can also be a handfull. Fatigue on long drives is a real factor with these trucks. Careful planning of your trip is the rule. Drive slow, plan your braking and turns, and pay attention to the details. Yes, you need to check your brake flud *every time*, yes you need to check tire pressures *every time*. I spend at least 30 minutes doing an inspection every time I take the deuce anywhere...including just out to get fuel.

Good luck, and enjoy your truck.

gimpyrobb

Your treading on thin ice there Flea. Alot of guys here don't like info such as that posted. If you were to be watching that auction, would you still post up about it?

Mud,

I have a deuce and a 5-ton registered in KY. I don't recall anything out of the ordinary to register. I registered both as ordinary trucks. Make sure you have a vaild title and things should go smoothly. Just answer any questions briefly. Tell the truth, but don't offer lots of extra information that will complicate things.

I bought both trucks from out of state. (one in Indiana, and the other Ohio). Out of state transfers require an additional KY form
(see: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=9496 )
This form requires notary signature and law enforcement verification of VIN number.

You most likely will have the option to get Historical license plates. I didn't go for the historical license plate because I didn't want the restrictions on driving. I would however suggest getting the Veteran license plate if you are eligible. ( I would like to believe that law enforcement might be more forgiving).
http://www.dmv.org/ky-kentucky/license-plates.php

Insurance was a pain. My current auto and home agent (Liberty Mutual) will only insure up to a one ton pickup truck. A lot of the collector car insurers require the vehicle be "garaged", and again place restrictions on driving. Not all of the insurers will offer policies in all states. I ended up with a policy from Progressive - not cheap, but I am fully covered and the piece of mind is worth it.

The topics of licensing, titles, and insurance have been covered many times here. If you do a search, you will find hours of reading (with mostly good advice :wink: )

If you still have questions, PM me your phone number, and I will be glad to try to talk with you by phone.

Flea

Re: RE: Thinking About Getting a Deuce. Couple questions...

gimpyrobb said:
Your treading on thin ice there Flea. Alot of guys here don't like info such as that posted. If you were to be watching that auction, would you still post up about it?
Didn't realize I was on thin ice, I apologize. :(

I figured I'd post that only because it had no bids on it; however, the auction closed at 7:00 this evening anyways.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RE: Re: RE: Thinking About Getting a Deuce. Couple question

For insurance, talk to Sonya at Gulfway in FL. They insured my M923A2 for around $325 and my 818 for around $250. That's with full-coverage. 1-800-940-5010 No indoor storage required.

gimpyrobb

Flea, its cool, your new and I have made the same mistake. Just wanted to let you know how others feel without sounding too harsh. I have seen people turned off by some of the "warnings". I hope you understand that no offense was ment, and you understand other's point of view.

Blythewoodjoe

I put my jeep wrangler in the back of my first deuce for the trip home. I never plan to do that again, but only because it is hard to load and unload. I loaded it with a loading dock at CMS and unloaded it with a big pile of dirt. I have towed my wrangler from SC to Aberdeen and back once. The wrangler tows great with my tow bar. With out a doubt the easiest way to mover two vehicles from one place to another. I don't know what model you have but if you don't mind towing that would be my advise. No trailer to buy or big ramps to load the jeep in the bed.

Second thought, BOB one. My current truck has the same wheel base as my Ford F-250. Weighs a wee bit more (11,000 pounds) but is easier to drive and you might be able to drive it on a few of the jeep trails. If you do the job your self you can take the stock bed and make a killer jeep trailer out of it to pull with BOB. If your new here and haven't seen a BOB deuce check this out.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=124841&highlight=#124841

Joe Trapp

mud4me

I am scheduled to go look at the truck Tomorrow. I will hopefully get some pics to post up and see what you guys think.

Trango

When I was still thinking about hauling my buggy with my deuce, I designed some ramps that would permit me to load it without bottoming out. I guess, actually, that the ramps would also allow me to load the ZJ I had built up at the time (7" lift, 37" rubber).

The ramps were 12' long, and would have weighed something ridiculous like 170lbs each.

I opted for a trailer. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks