• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking about making an M1009 clone out of one of my K5s

aboonski

I have been wanting an M1009 for some time now after passing up several of them at our local DRMO yard. I was cutting the lawn today and suddenly realized that I have pretty near everything to put together a nice M1009 out of parts and vehicles that I already have! I would not have the same axles as the military truck but that could always change in the future. I think the electric tailgate on one of my K5s would be a real upgrade and the tilt wheel with the wiper delay mode would also be a great benefit too. I have three 6.2 CUCV motors right now but I don't have a diesel fuel tank for a Blazer just yet. The biggest expense would be the paint job at this point and the other concern would be changing out the front end of the 84 grill onto an 89 GMC Jimmy in regards to the title and registration. Has anybody ever done this before?

Elwenil

RE: Thinking about making an M1009 clone out of one of my K5

Why would you need to change axles? Aren't the M1009 axles the same as a half ton civilian model?

84cucv1ton

posi? really? thats like a limited slip right? guess mine dont work.

CCATLETT1984

the m1009's only have a gov-lok in the rear, the front is an open diff. the only cucv's that got the front posi unit were the m1028's and some m1031's

86M10086.2L

fuel ecomony and highway MPH would be my reasoning, that's why I'm looking into M1009's to replace my daily driver and make more of a toy out of my M1008. 3.08's make for a decent highway vehicle. Although one could argue that with the money spent on the blazer I could put a nice lift and 37's on the M1008, but than I would still only have one truck...

AJMBLAZER

Eh, even on the 1009's those are a bit high geared. 3.42 would be better...and since he's got civilian K5's he's likely got three TH700R4's...so with OD gears he could easily use a deeper axle gear like 3.42's or 3.73's and still have low rpm's on the freeway.