• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking of taking the M35 plunge

todds112

Been reading as much as I can on them. I currently have a Pinz 712 (6x6) that I love. I've always loved the M35's, though. My thinking is I can sell the Pinz, buy a M35 and use the difference to pay off some bills and still have a toy.

I am concerned about the overall cost of ownership. How easy are these things to work on? I'm concerned about the shear weight of them and the need for special (AKA Huge) tools. How reliable are they, especially in REALLY cold weather. My girlfriend hates the lack of good heat in the air-cooled Pinz. will the heaters in the trucks actually keep you comfortable?

From what I'm seeing the parts are not very expensive (except the Injection Pump). The Pinz parts are getting more and more pricey.

If I do pull the trigger I would probably go over to Idaho Motor Pool and see what they have.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great trucks and pretty dependable. Not all that heavy, you will need some bigger tools. Don't expect it to out perform your Pinz in the bush. I'd suggest a fuel fired heater, the deuces don't exactly run hot. Sasquatch Santa runs a deuce in northern MN with no issues.

dburt

Alex at Idaho Motor Pool can fix you up with a pretty nifty H.O. under-the-seat heater, plus your choice of a deuce to go with it. I have a place in SW Idaho about 14 miles away from his place of business, so I enjoy stopping in there and looking the trucks and spare parts over. I got my truck from him, he is very knowledgeable about the different trucks and other military vehicles, has lots of spare parts, it will be worth your time to make the trip.

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
No question here. GO FOR IT !!! buy your girl friend a field jacket for Christmas:driver:[thumbzup] But a nice heater might help you too

Last edited:

Stonewall

Go for it for sure. I just got mine after 6 months of marriage. The wife does not like to admit it, but she loves it. I cannot wait to start working on the restoration.

bpj911

Todd:
You following me? :) Compared to a Pinz, the duece is cheap. It's also more conventional. I love the Pinzs and hope you have had a lot of fun with yours. I just snagged a nice deuce a couple weeks ago. I have my K sold it looks like to be picked up next weekend. Give me a call Todd if you want. 712-301-3835 if you don't have the number anymore. A deuce hardtop is a lot warmer than a Pinz softtop. My hardtop pinz is pretty warm but not as warm as the M35 or the M37 probably. I wouldn't consider the deuce to be w whole lot louder than a Pinz either. It's huge though. And slow until you get to speed. Mileage is probably the same. The deuce runs a lot better in extreme cold than the Pinz probably due to the carbs on a Pinz being a bit of a hassle. They won't go the places a Pinz will go. Like drive-thrus, parking lots, etc. :) Also, off road if you get stuck you have a big problem. The interior of the M35 is cramped for the driver. The Pinz has better ergonomics by a long shot. The deuce is probably more reliable overall although the Pinz's are really pretty good. Good luck Todd. With the economy, etc I decided to sell my K and buy a duece and pay some bills with the difference. I know where some good trucks are for sale. I am going to bob mine I think,
Bryan

Armada

Thinking about an M35, eh?

Well, think about this..... You know the cold sweat feeling you get as you climb into the dentist chair prior to a root canal, the excrutiating pain you have all the way to your toes even while being loaded up with novacaine, the smoke and burning smell coming from your mouth as the dentist works a die grinder in your throat...... ever had that feeling? Yeah?

Well, that's nothing like getting an M35. Just do it, you'll be glad you did! The only negative is that you won't be able to stop at only one!

todds112

Ha, ha, Bryan, you crack me up.

I love my Pinz, it will kill me to sell it. Just took her up in the mountains today for a drive....Brrrrrrrrrr. She runs great and has been very dependable. I think the 712 is the best off road vehicle ever made.

If I sell the Pinz it's for economic reasons only. I figure I can get a Duece for cheaper than a decent ATV. I can pay off some bills and still have a toy. a toy that still ticks off the greenies around here.

I figure alot of the trails I like to run will be off limits just because of it's size. Sure would hate to get it stuck back in the middle of nowhere. Just something about them...that sound...wow.

Still weighing options. Thanks for the input.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks