• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Those M35A2C Dropsides Sure Look Heavy

key-largo

How many personnel are needed to safely swing the dropsides down and then back up again? What's involved in removing the dropsides all together and then replacing them?

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Swinging them up and down is a one person job. Taking them off probably takes more. I personally am not a huge fan of the dropside with its screw down corners and such. Others love them as they are more useful.

Westech

CPL
I have the drop side on my M813 and it has its pro's and con's. I also think the hold downs are kinds funky but they do the job and don't know any other way of ding it. even on the 5 ton one person can work the sides but taking them off.. well I would say at least 4 guys and a donkey.

acetomatoco

Make sure you have the safety pins in your side racks or they will slide right out and crush your little piggies..at any rate it is advisable to remove the racks before lowering the dropsides...I would always advise that soldier #2 be given that job...

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
well I would say at least 4 guys and a donkey.
:shock: What the heck does the donkey do?! Supervise?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Removing/replacing the dropsides themself is a MULTI soldier job.. Atleast 2-3 (the more the better) guys to remove 5 pins per side, and an extra to get all the pins out.. A forklift is a great help.

Any no, thats not me in the pic, but it is my goretex parka...

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the dropsides are the same on the deuce and 5 ton. I've never really compared them, but I believe this to be true. The difference in the length of the beds is the front two foot section that is stationary on a 5 tonner.

Armada

Any no, thats not me in the pic, but it is my goretex parka...
The guy is looking for the parka but can't find it cause it's camo. "WT hey? I just set the dam thing down?!"

I believe the dropsides are the same on the deuce and 5 ton. I've never really compared them, but I believe this to be true. The difference in the length of the beds is the front two foot section that is stationary on a 5 tonner.
Interesting... Good info.

spicergear

emmado22 said:
Removing/replacing the dropsides themself is a MULTI soldier job.. At least 2-3
I guess Me, Myself, and I counted. :wink: Don't do what I do--

OH, if anybody has any of the hold down threaded 'T' pins and screw handles extra I'm looking for three of them- thanks

Barrman

There was a set on E-bay about a month ago Tom. I didn't buy them at $25 and have been kicking myself ever since. If you find a source, please share since I need them as well.

Oh, on the side removal, they really don't weigh all that much more than a tailgate. Just hard to handle because they are so long.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks