• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Those with JC Taylor insurance...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfccac

Did you register your vehicles as historical?

If not...what category of registration did u end up with?

I just got my JC Taylor cards....and I was surprised to see they were not labeled 'historical'

jim-m35a2

What exactly are you asking? Historical plates in MI are useless. So I did not registar the Deuce as such. It cost me about $700.00 bucks a year, insurance and tags to drive the Deuce anytine and anywhere I want to.

Jim
________
fat girl Webcams

Last edited:

moose53

in NY state vehicles with historical tags must have insurance cards that say historical on them also. His JC Taylor cards for some reason did not, which is a problem here in NY.

I have historical tags on my jeep, and the insurance cards are marked historical also.

Jim

jfccac

Thanx for clarifying moose...

He's exactly correct...I recvd my insurance cards (NY) and there's no notation of historical.

Based on moose's response...I'm assuming the cards should have historical noted on them.

I guess a phone call is in order.

thanx

LanceRobson

JC, I'd call the DMV first. The NY DMV website only states the vehicle has to be 25 years old to register as "Historic"

JC Taylor does NOT issue "Historical" insurance. They issue "Antique" insurance which has nothing to do with the DMV interpretation of "Historic"

My cards do not say "Historic" and the DMV doesn't care.

Lance

ida34

What exactly are you asking? Historical plates in MI are useless. So I did not registar the Deuce as such. It cost me about $700.00 bucks a year, insurance and tags to drive the Deuce anytine and anywhere I want to.

Jim
Jim,
Why do you say it it useless? It is actually less restrictive than other states. A historical plate should not be used if you are using it as a daily driver but it is pretty open otherwise. I can still drive mine anywhere or anytime. The law just says the vehicle is for historical reasons. The SOS adds some common language of parades and shows but also adds an etc on the end. At any rate, this is not the law just an SOS procedurally thing. If you get a ticket it will be for violating the law. The only prohibition on the SOS application is using it for routine transportation. The law does not make such a distinction and only says the vehicle must be for owned historical purposes. This is pretty open ended as it does not specify anything but that. Below is the actual Michigan law.

257.803a Issuance of historic vehicle registration plate or registration tab; fee; certification;
registration certificate; registration transferable; expiration or revocation of registration.
Sec. 803a. (1) The secretary of state may issue to the owner of an historic vehicle an historic vehicle
registration plate which shall bear the inscription “historical vehicle - Michigan” and the registration number.
(2) The owner of an historic vehicle applying for an historic vehicle registration plate or a registration tab
under this section shall pay a fee of $30.00, shall certify that the vehicle for which the registration is requested
is owned and operated solely as an historic vehicle, and shall certify that the vehicle has been inspected and
found safe to operate on the highways of this state. The registration certificate need not specify the weight of
the historic vehicle. The registration issued under this section is transferable to another historic vehicle upon
completion of the application for transfer and payment of the fee in the manner described in section 809.
(3) A registration issued under this section shall expire on April 15 in the tenth year following the date of
issuance of the registration.
(4) The secretary of state may revoke a registration issued under this section, for cause shown and after a
hearing, for failure of the applicant to comply with this section, for use of the vehicle for which the
registration was issued for purposes other than those enumerated in section 20a, or because the vehicle is not
safe to operate on the highways of this state.

Note: Section 20a has been repealed.

Here is the application statement

Certification: I certify that this historical vehicle is owned solely as a collector’s item and is used only for historical club activities, parades, car shows, etc., and not for routine transportation.

The etc is the main out. As long as you are not using it for routine transportation then you are fine. The etc would cover a joy ride from time to time. There is a Chevy Chevette running around Ann Arbor with a historical plate that is just an old POS. None of us cite him because the law is so vague. The certification above is a fabrication by sos and is not written into law so violating the certification statement is not something that will get you a ticket. Not trying to flame you. I just want you to have accurate information. I think the statement part might have scared you off.

Chuck

Last edited:

jmh4x4

those of you with JC taylor, do you guys keep your trucks in garages? I just tried getting insurance through them, then Hagertys and was denied becuase I will not be parking it in a locked garage. Ended up having to get pleasure vehicle insurance through my regular carrier.

dittle

Mine in through JC Taylor and had the "kept in locked garage" stipulation. Told my insurance agent (who underwrote through JCT for me) that it is going to be stored on a military base in a secured lot (it is sitting with a bunch of tanks and fun toys) which is more secure than any garage I have access to. Told him that if necessary tell JCT it would be kept in a maintenance tent......:twisted:

Ridgerunner

Jim
Jim, I live in Michigan, and have a '67 F-100, '74 Harley, '74 Honda enduro, '77 F-150, '78 F-150 and my '70 Deuce all with "authenic year plates", which is the same as "historic plates". Same rules for both plates, just mine have the correct year on them to match the vehicle and they never expire.

Anyways, I drive these along with my daily drivers in the summer months and have never had any problem over all the years of driving them, and I've never even took one of them to a "car show" or "parade"

As long as you have other modern newer vehicles plated, registered and insured as your daily drivers, there's nothing wrong, and nothing illegal about taking your "historic vehicle" out for a ride when ever you want. If you ever did get stopped by a prick cop and issued a ticket, it would never hold up in court, especially if you have a newer car plated/registered. But I doubt you'd ever have that problem in the first place. -Paul

atilathehun

i just put my 5 ton on the road in new york i went with geico $400.00 a year and farm tags i can only go 25 miles from home with it. maybe i will switch to historical next year after i fix her up

m376x6

In the many years I owned and drove Deuces and will probably again some day I always used Farm Plates. The sweet lady I have, for over 22 years gone to and bought plates and gotten titles from, Mary, asked many years ago when I went to license my first deuce if I had a farm? The cost of regular plates was outrageous. I stated that the closest I came to farming or ranching was to haul bags of sunflower seeds to feed the hordes of hungry Chipmunks and Golden Ground Squirrels that have adopted us. She said that qualified. The plates cost around 80 dollars per year. In the many years I drove my various deuces doing every kind of thing imaginable I was never stopped or even questioned. Plates here can transfer from one vehicle to another as you replace them.

I originally started out with JC Taylor and ended up finding a much more flexible and reasonable cost with Western (TriCounty) Group. I've been with them for years. But, they don't provide coverage in every state. So there you are, feeding little critters on 12 acres in the mountains at 8,500 feet in elevation counts as farming according to the DMV rep here in the county.

Regards,
M376X6

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ida34 and Ridgerunner, what insurance do you have, and do they have restrictions on the use? I'm asking because while waiting for my SF97 I'm looking at registration and insurance issues. I want to add my M35A2 to my State Farm policy. I'm leaning towards a historic plate but I want to drive this at any time I want, to wherever I want, while hauling whatever I want,( but not for profit of course).

goldneagle

those of you with JC taylor, do you guys keep your trucks in garages? I just tried getting insurance through them, then Hagertys and was denied becuase I will not be parking it in a locked garage. Ended up having to get pleasure vehicle insurance through my regular carrier.
Try Gulfway Insurance in Florida. I got mine from them and I have no such restriction.

Ridgerunner

ida34 and Ridgerunner, what insurance do you have, and do they have restrictions on the use? I'm asking because while waiting for my SF97 I'm looking at registration and insurance issues.
"319" I have my Deuce on my AllState insurance policy, PLPD, same as my other cars/trucks for now. I just sent in my form to JC Taylor insurance just this week. So we'll see if it gets approved. As for your registration, I'd run historic plates, these trucks are almost forty years old, some older, your not going to get in trouble using them for personal use. This is what I do, you do what you feel comfortable with. I my self like the authenic plates over the historic plates, because they match the year of the truck.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"319" I have my Deuce on my AllState insurance policy, PLPD, same as my other cars/trucks for now. I just sent in my form to JC Taylor insurance just this week. So we'll see if it gets approved. As for your registration, I'd run historic plates, these trucks are almost forty years old, some older, your not going to get in trouble using them for personal use. This is what I do, you do what you feel comfortable with. I my self like the authenic plates over the historic plates, because they match the year of the truck.
I have a very reasonable quote from Gulfway already but I prefer to stick with State Farm, even if I have to pay a little more. I've had excellent service and rates from them for thirty years. My agent's response when I call is always "what did you buy now?"
I'll check JC Taylor also.

LanceRobson

Congrats, guys! You've hijacked the thread! The question was regarding JC Taylor insurance and specifically with regards to NY.

JC Taylor has, within the last month or two become more restrictive in underwriting requirements, at least in NY. JFCCAC and Alphatruck both had challenges with JC Taylor in the last few weeks. I feel bad because I'm one of the guys who referred them.

JC Taylor now wants a signature verification that you will not allow an under 25 operator, transport anyone in the bed for any reason and they want a "clear, color picture" of the vehicle INSIDE the garage. No more "check the block" stuff on those items.

Please, if you're not a JC Taylor customer with recent experience in NY, start another thread.

Thanks

Lance

Status
Not open for further replies.