• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thought I found a deuce dump truck

ida34

Before leaving for the Clare MI swap meet I happened to see an ad in my local newpaper. It was under the heavy equipment catagory and was for a hi-lo lift. At the end of the ad was the notation that a"deuce and a half army dump truck" was also available for $6000. I immediatly started convincing my wife that we needed a dump truck. She did not believe that there was a deuce dump truck in the paper. Sunday I called about it and he was only a few minutes away from me. Asked what the actual model of the truck was and he did not know. He said it was a 76 but he was not sure. It did have a winch. I then asked if it had the multifuel engine in it and he said no. He said it was a diesel engine and it got better gas mileage then a multifuel. He then asked me if the multifuel was the one that burned gasoline too. I said it was then stopped asking questions as it sounded like he was guessing.
Today I went to look at it. As I approached it I saw that the bumper markings were upside down. It obviously did not come with a winch originally. I then saw that the bolts used to attach the frame extensions were common bolts. Not grade 8 or 5. The dump bed did not look right. It looked like it could have been an m47 bed on a longer frame. It was also painted blue while the rest of the truck was camo. I checked the data plate and it said it was a plain jane M35A2. I looked the truck over and it did have a dual output transmission PTO but the dump mechanism was micky mouse at best. The lever used to actuate the dump cylinder had been cut out with a torch and was not ground down. The bed was attached with regular bolts with no grade 5 or 8 hardware in sight. It did have a hard top but no heater. It looked like he had replaced the stack with 2 1/2 inch exhaust pipe with flex pipe at the bottom for the J pipe.
I thanked him and said I was looking for a real army dump truck. He then told me all the ways that this was better. I thought about how I could just make mine a dump for alot less then $6000. He then told me that he had scrapped the original bed but I could probably get one to replace it. I did not have the heart to tell him that the only way the truck was worth $6000 was if it was a stock deuce dump. He had at best a runner that needed alot of work. I should have slept in.

deuceman51

I went down there to look at those trucks. I'm not sure what fate they found, but I do know that they were junk. The pics make them look 100x better than they were, they were missing so many parts that it would have taken at least 2 parts trucks to make some of them work. I was going to fix one of the M215 dumps, but luckly walked away from it before I got into a huge nightmare.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks