• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thumping / popping while driving...

LeadHead

The other day my camo love-machine started to get a little salty on me. Started doing this whole thumping deal when I go over, like...5 mph. The faster I go, the more it thumps. I cant really tell where it's coming from. But I can feel it in the floorboards and it seems like it's somewhere up front or under me. I was running some Super Swamper Thornbirds. So I put on some old Wranglers and it still does it! Axle shafts have a little play...but the hubs are unlocked, so should that matter? I cant figure it out.

Is it time for me to break down and take it to a mechanic for the first time?

The truck is a 1985 M1009. 10 bolt axles and lock-out hubs.

cucv1833

The other day my camo love-machine started to get a little salty on me. Started doing this whole thumping deal when I go over, like...5 mph. The faster I go, the more it thumps. I cant really tell where it's coming from. But I can feel it in the floorboards and it seems like it's somewhere up front or under me. I was running some Super Swamper Thornbirds. So I put on some old Wranglers and it still does it! Axle shafts have a little play...but the hubs are unlocked, so should that matter? I cant figure it out.

Is it time for me to break down and take it to a mechanic for the first time?

The truck is a 1985 M1009. 10 bolt axles and lock-out hubs.

Sounds like U-Joints

wayne pick

Or trans mounts, an easy fix, no mechanic needed. Take a pinch bar and jam it between the trans adapter and crossmember and push up, or pull down whatever is easyer, If the trans moves it's the mounts. DIY, save some $$$.[thumbzup]