• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tie Rod End replacement

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The boots on my tie rod ends were completely falling apart and even though the Tie Rod Ends were tight, I thought I should replace the whole thing. So I set out to replace all 4 tie rod ends. I found out quickly that the ones listed in the parts list, the commercial equivalents were not exactly the correct parts. Here are two that crossed to the civilian number.

20200314_111241.jpg

They are too long in both directions. I mean these are threaded in two places and both of the threaded parts are too long for a good fit on our trucks.

20200314_110750.jpg

I had a lot of trouble trying to loosen these to get them out. For a couple of weeks, I sprayed about a gallon of Liquid Wrench in these parts trying to get them to free up.

20200307_085942.jpg

After I got the nut and the rod to turn, then I needed to break the part free from the truck. I tried everything and finally used two axle separators to break it apart. Note how the two tools are stacked on one another so I can get enough height to force it apart.

I tried to upload a photo but it did not work.

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the photo I was uploading was from my new phone and it was 100mp. I guess that is too big to be uploaded. So here is a smaller version showing the tools I used.

TieRodEndSmall.jpg

I thought about replacing just the boots, they are available from the military and I found one on eBay.

20200314_143926.jpg

Here is the boot itself. The ridges on the boot fit into valleys on the Tie Rod End and then the two round springs go on to keep the boot in place.

20200314_144020.jpg

I am glad that I did not replace just the boots because I destroyed a couple of the Tie Rod Ends getting them out.

In the end, I had to get the actual military Tie Rod Ends on eBay to get then to fit on the truck properly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks